Question

My laptop doesn’t sense the T-Mobile gateway.

• 28 May 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

My laptop runs on Windows 8.1. It does not sense the T-Mobile gateway, even though it is sitting right next to it on my desk. Does anyone have a solution?

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

My laptop runs on Windows 8.1. It does not sense the T-Mobile gateway, even though it is sitting right next to it on my desk. Does anyone have a solution?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Since Windows 8 went end of life in 2016, I assume your laptop is older than 7-8 years. Try setting your wifi standard to “n”. Default for TMO 5G router is “ac” which is suppose to be backwards compatible but some folks have had problems on older laptops.

If you need help on changing the wifi standard on TMO gateway, contact their support and they can walk you through the steps.

With Windows 8 you may need to split the WIFI.  Out of the box, it is one SSID for both 2g and 5g WIFI.  I had to do this so I could connect all my automation devices.  Similar issue.  Go to the T-Mobile Home internet gateway/router and you can do it there.

Badge

If you have the older round gateway, go to 2.4 and change the transmission frequency to n/g.  Worked for me.  If you have the newer square gateway, your older network adapters won’t get wifi.  I had to buy a USB network adapter.  I wasn’t happy about it.

I stumbled on a solution. Connected my IPhone to computer ( wired) and set up iPhone as a “hot spot”. This resulted in my Lenovo laptop recognizing T-Mobile internet from Gateway. Disconnected IPhone and laptop now detects Gateway. Not sure why this fixed issue but it works.

I stumbled on a solution. Connected my IPhone to computer ( wired) and set up iPhone as a “hot spot”. This resulted in my Lenovo laptop recognizing T-Mobile internet from Gateway. Disconnected IPhone and laptop now detects Gateway. Not sure why this fixed issue but it works.

I did this with my Ipad2 🤭🤫😬 and it worked!  My old laptop has no hotspot capability, so this fix did not work with that. 😔 Alas... I press on in search of a solution. 🙏🏽 👀 😏

Thank you for posting the work around. 😎

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Some devices cannot connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your laptop to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Some devices cannot connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your laptop to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

I created a 2.4 GHz access and it worked with the Ipad2 (after making the device a “hotspot”) but it hasn’t worked with the old laptop yet, which is why I need to keep looking for a solution - something will work - I just need to keep looking. But thanks for commenting.