Question

Neither Chrome Nor Edge Browsers Are Working Right . . . .

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I got my T-Mobile gateway yesterday.  It only was available in my area starting last week.  After the setup, I connected an eero 6+ router.  Both eero pods I have instantly worked with the gateway.  My Lenovo desktop instantly worked fine with it, too, but I had to do additional signing in and such to get my Sony TV, T-Mobile cell phone and Fire HD 10 to access the internet. 

Now today, everything is working but my Lenovo.  The computer shows it is connected to my network and the internet.  Both the Edge browser and Chrome browser do instantly click in.  However, no websites will click in with Chrome at all.  It’s not even trying to go to a website.  With the Edge, it sometimes very, very slowly reaches the website, but nothing works on that website. (All speed tests done with the eero have shown 240ish download speeds with the T-Mobile gateway.  That is way faster than Cox, but it’s the Cox Arris modem I am using as I type this.)

Any quick fixes to this problem?

Since going online many years ago, I have always done my own troubleshooting, often with advice from others, and stuck with the issues until they were resolved, regardless of how much time it took.  I don’t think I have the patience for that sort of thing any longer, as well as with long chats or calls with tech reps.  Yes, I should have kept that in mind before requesting the T-Mobile gateway.

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

An hour later . . . both Chrome and the Edge are working perfectly with the T-Mobile gateway and Cox internet is out.  I don’t know which to keep. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Give it a little time and exercise the T-Mobile solution. The problem with the browsers could have been cache issues. If you have the client move from the routing via the Cox router and the T-Mobile router that might just be where the problem originated. Stale cashed information and bad ARP info. If you go from one to the other clear the ARP cache on the client. Without looking at it in detail and pulling up what the client “knows” when the problem is present that is the best guess I can give you off the top of my head. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thank you.  Can I clear the ARP? If so, how?  Or would I have to call T-Mobile support? 

I’ve had no problems at all with T-Mobile since I went back to it.  The Cox modem was blinking for at least five hours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Open the command window and enter the command, “arp -d” without the quotes. In effect the  “d” is delete.
ARP associates the IP address to the MAC address. The MAC address is associated with the network interface device. Networking devices have to keep a table of known devices on the LAN. It is like a group of contacts.  Probably more than you really wanted to know. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes it will learn them again when it sends out ARP requests saying a who has in effect. Clients respond. IPv4. But IPv6 works a little different and the clients are probably running both and with the T-Mobile solution that is how it works. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thank you.  I will do that and also read up on the ARP topic.  Things are still going quite well with T-Mobile, and the Cox modem just started flashing again. It’s on because it’s needed for a landline, too, which also does not work when the modem isn’t working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

ARP entries will age out but if there are invalid ARP entries a client has then clearing the ARPs out is sometimes necessary to get things to start working properly again faster. If you want to display the ARP entries you can enter the command, arp -a ,in a command window and that will display all the ARP entries the client knows. 

One way to generate ARP entries for a client is to ping the local LAN broadcast address. For the 192.168.12.0/24 subnet you would ping 192.168.12.255 which would in effect elicit a response from all clients on the subnet. Once that is done you can again enter the arp -a command and see all the ARPs the client has recorded. If the clients are active on the LAN with a valid IP address they should respond. It is just part of how IPv4 works.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Can deleting the ARP entries cause any problems?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Deletion of the ARP entries should not cause a problem. If a client does not have an entry it will still attempt to reach the target by sending an ARP broadcast. Once it gets a response it will add an ARP entry. Different vendors implement different timeout values for addresses aging out of the table.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Okay, thanks for all the information.  I cancelled Cox internet yesterday.