Question

New Gateway

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does anyone know when the new/upgraded gateway is coming out? Or has it already? 

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Does anyone know when the new/upgraded gateway is coming out? Or has it already? 

Already available.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/get-to-know-your-arcadyan-kvd21-gateway

Userlevel 1
Badge

Already available.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/get-to-know-your-arcadyan-kvd21-gateway

Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The new Arcadyan Gateway is being shipped but maybe you might be careful what you wish for. The TMO-Report page is a good place to keep up with things. The web interface of the Arcadyan GW is less capable than the Nokia GW so it is a mixed bag. Is it better than the Nokia? Well, time will tell.

https://tmo.report/2022/02/how-to-see-what-bands-your-t-mobile-arcadyan-gateway-is-using/

Userlevel 1
Badge

The new Arcadyan Gateway is being shipped but maybe you might be careful what you wish for. The TMO-Report page is a good place to keep up with things. The web interface of the Arcadyan GW is less capable than the Nokia GW so it is a mixed bag. Is it better than the Nokia? Well, time will tell.

https://tmo.report/2022/02/how-to-see-what-bands-your-t-mobile-arcadyan-gateway-is-using/

Thank you for this! 

Badge

So what’s this one got the Nokia doesn’t? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That is a good question. I am not sure as more time in operation will tell if it is an improvement over the Nokia or not. The management and configuration of the Arcadyan gateway is currently much weaker than the Nokia. It all depends upon each user situation. The Arcadyan might be better at signal lock but that is hard to “know”. Keep in mind T-Mobile is still pushing out equipment to towers and expanding coverage so fine tuning tower signals in can take a little time. Is the problem with the routers or with the tower equipment configurations or what? It is hard to know for sure. The Nokia router I have has been working really well for 14-15 months and has held a signal lock without issues now for over 60 days and is still working fine. Some Nokia users had heat related issues. My Nokia from the BETA period has never exhibited heat related problems.

My take is I don’t know that the Arcadyan has much on the Nokia YET. Some users have replaced the Nokia with an Arcadyan and seen some improvements. Keep in mind the Arcadyan is the new kid on the block right now so has to prove the new is really better. If you wanted configuration capability the Arcadyan is more lacking than the Nokia and a bit more effort. Neither provide robust advanced configuration parameters. T-Mobile is maintaining controls in their favor. The Arcadyan may be the answer to some issues with the Nokia but also might just be a lower cost solution for T-Mobile to deliver allowing for greater return on the investment. Nickels do add up when you are looking at big numbers. Marketing has its spin on things too. Don’t forget the bean counters. New is NOT always better. It is different. 

Badge

I may be a diamond in the rough, but ever since I have signed up for the home broadband, once I was able to get the router in the best signal area I haven’t had a minutes trouble. Except of course when they were doing maintenance on the tower closest to my house, but that’s to be expected and it only lasted a hour or 2 at most. 
I work from home so I’m on it most all day and it blows my old ISP away. 
As we speak, with the TV streaming some show for the kids, and the other 8 devices connected (but probably not doing anything) I’m getting 184 down and 53 up. 
That’s hard to beat. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That’s great. With those speeds I guess the 5G is the n71 but that is not bad. The T-Mobile solution is pretty good for many people. There are some with marginal conditions so the bad “news” always travels fast. 
Here 5.3 miles from the tower with line of sight I receive similar speeds at times. Hard to argue with that. The Nokia I have runs fine so it is all relevant. For us it is a great solution with a reasonable cost. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Whohoo! Today it is running pretty nice. With n71 signal, 150 down and 36.9 up with ping latency at 48 ms and low jitter/no loss so pretty nice for mid day. Better than some results but pretty consistent with results the past weeks so I cant complain. I really think the equipment for the tower is a much more important part of the equation. That is where the greater complexity is and if that is operating poorly no router will make a difference. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Comtraya!