Question

New home Internet customer. Disappointed with speeds so far

• 30 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I installed my 5688 fast Gateway this morning at about 5am.  I was able to find the sweet spot in reception looking due East.  I put the gateway outside my garage door at about 3 ft off the ground and was getting 4/5 bars reception and 130mbps down.  That was pretty good so I moved back inside and found the closest window on the north east corner of my shop building and after spinning it around and taking speed tests, my best performance was 3/5 bars and 90 mbps.  Unfortunately I don’t have an East facing window…

Cut to today at 4pm and I’m now getting 10 mbps down and less.  I am in a metal building and realize the challenges this presents, but I would expect better speeds, or at least close to what I was getting this morning.  Also this morning we had clear skies and this afternoon its cloudy.  Not sure how atmospheric conditions effect signal in 5g comms.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I installed my 5688 fast Gateway this morning at about 5am.  I was able to find the sweet spot in reception looking due East.  I put the gateway outside my garage door at about 3 ft off the ground and was getting 4/5 bars reception and 130mbps down.  That was pretty good so I moved back inside and found the closest window on the north east corner of my shop building and after spinning it around and taking speed tests, my best performance was 3/5 bars and 90 mbps.  Unfortunately I don’t have an East facing window…

Cut to today at 4pm and I’m now getting 10 mbps down and less.  I am in a metal building and realize the challenges this presents, but I would expect better speeds, or at least close to what I was getting this morning.  Also this morning we had clear skies and this afternoon its cloudy.  Not sure how atmospheric conditions effect signal in 5g comms.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff  this is what I did,,, https://community.t-mobile.com/tv-home-internet-7/what-i-did-to-get-better-connection-without-antenna-bucket-idea-48766

Badge

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff  this is what I did,,, https://community.t-mobile.com/tv-home-internet-7/what-i-did-to-get-better-connection-without-antenna-bucket-idea-48766

Thanks johnbor,

I had that idea, and your thread proves it out.  I will whip up an enclosure of my own and give it a shot!