Solved

poor signal in mountains

• 15 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

The best I can get is 2 bars(weak) anywhere in my yard. Is it a lost cause or would an antenna help? A booster up in a tree or something? I'm clueless and if T Mobile doesn't work I have to stick with sub 1mbps internet.

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 16 February 2024, 01:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Is that with ‘Tmobile Home Internet’ ?  

I would recommend finding where your closest tower is (use the locator tool), and attempt to avoid anything between your device and the tower.  Also, use the devices ‘metrics’ stats to assist with the ‘weak’ stating.  Where I am, rotating the device can cause signal to go from ‘very good’ to ‘weak’.

How far away is the tower (i.e. can you see it?)

Badge

It's a 5g white Internet modem from T-Mobile.

Been checking direction all day and the best I get while facing the tower is 2 bars or 'weak'

I got "good" signal for a moment, but had to go up the hill with an extension power cord. I can't see any tower, as I'm surrounded by by walls of dirt

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This is a bit of a good news.  You have the TMobile Home Internet that comes with / accepts external antenna.  I’d recommend (if you have an Android Cell) to try ‘cellmapper.net’ application.  It typically has MANY cell towers geo-tagged, and will show which one you’re connected to, on a map.  You can try w/o the map feature, or with the advanced metrics feature, and each site is ‘tagged’ , and will show the distance through timing advance.  If you can find the tower … you can ‘aim’ your antenna in that direction, and try to avoid ‘obstacles’.

The closest site isn't always the one that can reach.  In this case,.15km on LTE.B66

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Here’s a video which ‘may’ help on the setup/external antenna with the newer white Home Internet device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMw-c3GA2tE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU0yrPR2qzg