Question

Recent ArcadyanKVD21 Slowdown

• 12 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm recently unable to obtain any meaningful speed from my T-Mobile Arcadyan KVD21 Gateway. When I installed the unit last July, I was achieving downloads of over 200 Mbps and uploads of over 50 Mbps. But during the last few weeks, I'm only getting 5 Mbps downloads and .5 Mbps uploads! The Arcadyan display shows 4 bars of signal and a 5G connection. I have line-of sight to the tower, which is less than 1 mile away (but on the other side of some high-tension power lines).

Here are my 5G cellular metrics with the unit in my home:

RSRQ = -6

RSPR = -78

SINR = 11

BAND = N71

As I said, I had great speeds just a few weeks ago. Something changed, and I have tried to troubleshoot this with T-Mobile but so far, no results. As a test today, I drove the gateway a short distance in my motorhome and ran some speed tests. I was only 1/3 mile away from my home (but I positioned my vehicle to be on the far side of the high-tension power lines) and found the speed to be phenomenal (263 x 73), proving that there's nothing wrong with my gateway.

Here are my 5G cellular metrics with the unit 1/3 mile away, on the other side of the power lines:

RSRQ = 3

RSRP = -79

SINR = 26

BAND = N41

My questions are 1.) Would there be any logical reason for the power lines to suddenly interfere?  2.) Will an external antenna help or would the power lines continue to be a problem? 3.) Is the problem unrelated to the powerlines?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

You were connecting to the N41 band while in your motorhome, but connecting to the slower N71 band at home. That’s likely the primary reason for the speed increase in the motorhome. As to why it’s not connecting to N41 when you’re at home, I don’t know. Others here might be able to give you more feedback on whether the power lines are an issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You were connecting to the N41 band while in your motorhome, but connecting to the slower N71 band at home. That’s likely the primary reason for the speed increase in the motorhome. As to why it’s not connecting to N41 when you’re at home, I don’t know. Others here might be able to give you more feedback on whether the power lines are an issue.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been communicating with the Waveform antenna folks and they don’t think that the power lines are a problem. I think you are correct about N71 vs N41. Now the question is how to achieve N41. I’ve been all over my property and cannot get the gateway to connect to N41, but if I power it up just 1/3 mile away, it works every time.

Maybe I need to beg my neighbor to allow me to plug it in inside his garage and then I can run a really long Cat 6 cable to my house….😉