Question

Remote Desktop Not Working

• 10 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

I am evaluating T-Mobile Home Internet to try to replace Comcast and I have a new T-Mobile KVD21 Arcaydyan modem.  Everything on my network works fine except for Remote Desktop. 

• I use Remote Desktop quite a bit for both connecting to a desktop computer on the same home network from other areas in my house and connecting to a desktop computer in another location outside of my local home network.
  • I use Logmein Hamachi to create a VPN connection and the standard Windows 10 Remote Desktop application (RDP) to make a connection
  • Logmein Hamachi is able to successfully create a VPN connection to both computers that I am trying to access but I then can’t get a Remote Desktop connection

I’ve read all the posts on this forum related to this topic and it seems to be a limitation of the T-Mobile router and there doesn’t seem to be a solution.  This is an important capability to me and if I can’t get it to work, I will have to discontinue my evaluation of T-Mobile Home Internet.  I have filed a ticket with T-Mobile support and have not yet gotten a response.

Is there any hope of solving this problem in the future?  I’m really disappointed that I can’t get this to work because I think 5G Home Internet has enormous potential for the future; however, perhaps the technology is immature at this time.

8 replies

Change MTU on Computer - just work around 

set to 1390 or find proper MTU by ping with MTU command 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRDu62Ft/?k=1

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That’s interesting. That might be. Even with a packet capture it might be hard to confirm exactly what was done. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have found Reddit to be a pretty  good source for ideas and answers. 

Badge

I got it to work!!  In Logmein Hamachi, I copied the IPV4 address for the remote computer and connected to that instead of connecting to the computer name and that works!  I think if you try to use Remote Desktop to connect to a remote computer by name, it might use the IPV6 address.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I doubt T-Mobile has any real incentive to open the ports. The future could be way out there.

Check it out to get an idea: https://docs.zerotier.com/zerotier/manual/#3_4_1

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I did a quick search and found an interesting thread on Reddit that has information on ZeroTier. It is a solution that creates a virtualization layer similar to VXLAN on top of an encrypted LAN. It is worth investigating. Is it better than using a VPN, well the only way to know is to investigate and test it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobileisp/comments/lphi6e/figured_out_a_way_to_connect_to_my_home_network/

Badge

Yes, I’ve done that.  I’m just looking for any update to see if there is any hope of solving this issue in the future

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You can use the search function for the Community conversations and get an entire listing of postings for remote desktop. There are 24 conversations posted on the topic.