Question

Service issues or flaky gateway?

Badge

Gateway has dropped Internet connection ~5x in the past hour (~5:30p-6:30p, Central FL), despite 4 bars “very good” signal strength. New service, just set up the other day. Has seemed relatively stable until tonight, then dropped several times in a row. Makes it difficult to do anything, as it appears to affect local Wi-Fi clients at the same time (camera and NAS keep getting knocked offline as well). Gateway did its own initial firmware update during setup with no issues. 

So…?🤔

12 replies

Badge

I've been having the problem a couple of days after getting T-Mobile internet. Apparently a lot of people have. I read that they might be doing a huge tower update so could be why. I noticed this morning my strength is at excellent. Hopefully it stays connected 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Well, I paid my first T-Mobile internet bill yesterday, and now today, for the first time, my internet connection keeps going out. Interestingly, when it's working and I try to go to a T-Mobile site, it again goes out!?!

Badge

My connection says excellent but my devices don't have internet. Phone says connected but cannot provide wifi. Ill randomly have high speeds and then for hours nothing. Unplugged restarted I have no more ideas.. hopefully they fix bills coming up 2 weeks

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Mine says connection is good or very good, and the app shows it's connected to the internet, only it's not connected to the internet. Good I have a T-Mobile phone that always works.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Check your speed on your phone. If it’s also slow, the issue is with the tower you are connected to.

This is what’s happening to me. I spoke to a very kind T-Mobile technician yesterday and she put in a ticket to have the tower looked at. I have no idea how long this will take, so for now I’m getting less than 5 Mbps downloads and .15 Mbps uploads on both my phone and gateway.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Not meaning to sound stupid here, but how do I check the speed on my phone?

I am also in central Florida and experiencing the same problem. Signal is good but internet goes down to very slow like 3 mps. Then a while later I get back 50 mps. It is on and off all the time. Very instable lately. For some reason there is no way to login to admin ???

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Snooooopy Search for “speed test” on Google. A simple test should appear at the top of the list. Run it a few times, then please report your results. Mine just tested at 16.7 Mbps download and .17 Mbps upload, which indicates that there is still a problem with my tower. (FYI, I’ve also tested it with my wife’s phone and get similar results, so the problem is not with my phone).

Did multiple speed tests from phones and laptop. It is just very inconsistent. Some are super fast and can be very slow a few minutes later. Signal on the box is always good or very good.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Did multiple speed tests from phones and laptop. It is just very inconsistent. Some are super fast and can be very slow a few minutes later. Signal on the box is always good or very good.  

Mine too, but it’s been much slower than it was 2 weeks ago, when I was averaging 50 Mbps download and 20 Mbps uploads. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Snooooopy Search for “speed test” on Google. A simple test should appear at the top of the list. Run it a few times, then please report your results. Mine just tested at 16.7 Mbps download and .17 Mbps upload, which indicates that there is still a problem with my tower. (FYI, I’ve also tested it with my wife’s phone and get similar results, so the problem is not with my phone).

Oh.  I do speed tests on my desktop all the time, but never thought of doing one on my cell phone. :)  On my phone, my download speed was 43 and 47.  On my desktop right now it was 82 and a 100 download and 23 upload both times.  That’s my normal upload speed with T-Mobile, but a way slower download speed. I’ve been getting 250-350 download numbers before now.  I don’t game, so just need enough speed to stream on my TV.  I’ve had no problems with that yet, but haven’t streamed anything today.

P.S. My eero app speed test just now showed my download speed as 159 and my upload as 19.

When they say “upgrading tower” it a complete lie just to put you off, hoping traffic on that band slows down.

I have been at this toothache with them for 6 months straight. They’ll say whatever puts you off. They just jump on other provider networks not their own, and pay them.

I’ve done everything but stand on my roof. They have changed out router (just another excuse).

When you finally talk to a knowledgeable tech, he/she will admit they oversold their capability and in a polite manner suggest I change providers. I’m headed to Verison, only here long enough to be sure they don’t jack up my 2 phone prices.