Question

Signal issues with 5G gateway home internet

Userlevel 1
Badge

We have been using T-Mobile home internet for a while now using the original 4G LTE Gateway home internet device (small white box) which worked just fine. This week we were at a T-Mobile store and upgraded to the new 5G Gateway (silver cylinder) which we were told was amazing and much faster.  As soon as we hooked it up the signal strength was weak.  Internet service was slow at best and streaming anything online was impossible because the signal kept dropping.  I contacted customer service and spent over a hour on line trying to troubleshoot the device (moving it to different locations, resetting the device, etc.). The technician finally decided to send us a replacement device.  Instead of receiving a replacement 5G Gateway they sent me a refurbished Galaxy cell phone which is a whole other story, but it was back on the phone with customer service.  The second service technician said they would have engineering check our device which would take a few days to complete and they would contact me with the results. Three days later I received a call explaining my device was working perfectly but the cell tower we were receiving a signal from was overloaded and was scheduled to be upgraded by August 9th and until then our signal would not likely improve. The thing that makes no sense is the older device (4 LTE) worked fine receiving the signal from the same tower. The new device is supposed to work with either 4 LTE or 5G but is terrible. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the new 5G gateway device?

11 replies

We do and for a very long time now . Ready to give up and go back to ATT fiber .Did your problem ever get resolved ? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, we were able to switch back to the 4g LTE receiver we originally had and that solved the problem for us. Apparently all of T-Mobiles antennas haven’t been updated to 5G yet.

I have T-Mobile  home internet for at least 3 months . There will be hardly one  day when I did not call technical support which is available in Philippines they waste your 3 to 4 hours and don't fix anything   you have to wait next day call early in the morning then you will catch us technical support they will try to help you.

If you are using for work by office VPN speed goes to 10 and you cannot use office phone via phone you have to install extra router to phone working speed still 10. When I signed up to T-Mobile  Home internet it was guarantee that  it will work perfectly of home office work. I brought to FCC   attention answer from T-Mobile is that you have limited excess  why they did not tell me because they have not fixed the tower if it is limited excess why T-Mobile is charging customer if home internet not working properly  .

Another funny thing when you put on internet to find out if home internet is available in your location it shows not available but I have internet working even Tmoble web site saying not available on web site. Tmobile should not  charge customers if home internet has limited excess cannot work properly when person is working at home.

Tmoble need to close out of US customer service and technical support they just waste your time    

The only time my signal shows "good" is when the gateway is touching the window, otherwise the signal is weak

I have been having issues with my gateway as well. Some of my devices will loose internet even if the connection is not lost. i have called IT 2 times and been on the phone for an hour each time. they sent me a new unit and it still is having the same issue. any news on how to resole this issue.

jhb,

Same thing to me . Could have used the exact words as far as the towers go. Do you notice if the download speeds appear to be throttled down?

Badge

I am still having this issue says my connection is either very good or strong but my devices are running below 4mb and eventually nothing. Any fix? 

I’m returning the 5G Gateway and switching ISP’s. There is a strong signal to the Gateway, but it stinks as a router - even when connected to computer with Ethernet. I may try again with T-Mob in a couple of years, hopefully they will have a better experience then. But for now the user experience isn’t reliable enough, and tech support operators are miserably incompetent.

Badge

Same. As much as I wanted this to work I need a stable connection. I already ended up renewing a contract but I will try T-Mobile home internet again after that ends.

Badge

We’ve had the same exact problem. The LTE device worked great. Could stream tv, be on a video call, and have multiple working from the house. Now, its near unusable if more than one device is on. I just use my phone’s LTE hotspot to work. 

Same issue with Tmobile as well. They sent us a new Nokia 5G router claiming that was the problem but no improvement. I’m curious if the Nokia routers have inferior internal antennas compared to the old LTE device???

I have TMobile Gateway. Have not had problems until last night. Tv picture until you click on a program or movie to watch. Sound but no picture. Went to T-Mobile store today and they told me to turn my box off and then turn it back on. Tried that twice. It says strong signal on box. There is picture and sound on Home Screen when you first turn tv on advertising shows. When I click on something to watch I get sound but no picture. Please Help!!!