Question

Slow Ethernet, fast WiFi

• 31 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I'm having an issue with my Nokia gateway, connected to the Gateway WIFI I get over 400mbs. But connected to my router which is connected to the back of the gateway I only get top 160mbs. Is this a big in the firmware? I would get super fast speeds before on my router and all of a sudden they stop. 

I have used different WIFI 6 routers and still the same issue. 

Different cable, same issue.

I even tried a different gateway, same issue.

Is TMobile doing this on purpose to force customers to use their integrated WIFI.

Anything will help.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@manuelrios509 I will watch this post. I have not experienced this type of issue. 

Generally, if you speeds drop when adding a router, the the router would be suspect. But, if you get the same results with different routers, then the problem is difficult to identify. 

It is not my experience that TM throttles speeds. Instead, because we are on cellular networks, the traffic is prioritized, and home internet takes 2nd place over cellular phone traffic. That's why some parts of the day (usually evenings) speeds are much faster than morning and mid-day (commute traffic).

Have you tried setting your router us as an AP, subordinate to the TM gateway? Can you describe your setup? Have you considered taking your gateway back to the local TM store, explaining your issue, then asking for an exchange unit, and ask for the Sagemcom unit? I have the Sagemcom 5688 Fast gateway with Netgear MR60 mesh wifi router and it works consistently well.   

I hope this helps!

I have this issue too. Very frustrating. Would really like a solution Tmobile 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Another thing maybe to check….it could be the router and gateway are broadcasting on the same channel numbers. Your router should have the ability to manually select channels for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands, so make sure they are different than the channels the Gateway is using.  You can see what channels are being used by downloading a Wifi analyzer for your phone.  If your Router is on a WiFi 6 mesh, you also have to worry about that channel the backhaul channel is using.

Lastly, if your devices are latching onto a 2.4GHz band on your router, you’re not going to get speeds much over 100 Mb/sec anyway.

I’ve checked that but if anything that would make WiFi slower. But the opposite is happening. Ethernet is slower  

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Zackatack101 as long as both Wi-Fi channels are different (channel 3 and 5) vs both broadcasting the same channel (both on 3) then you shouldn’t have an issue other than competing with each other.  

Same thing happens with our Tmobile home internet that we've had about a year.  Started getting throttled around June 2023 and has only gotten worse.  Throttling usually begins around 9am to 10am and last until about 11pm.  We subscribe to YouTube TV and the streaming is so blury it's bad on the eyes.  Barely 1mbps speed during the throttling.  The really weird thing is the exact same thing is happening with our phones.  They're about to lose us as a customer on their phones and internet if they don't get their act together.