Question

T-Mobile 5G router

• 12 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

I'm new with this 5G stuff, so my question is the router supposed to be on all the time and is the screen supposed to be lit up all the time ? 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I know with the Nokia it tends to sleep and a touch wakes it up. I don’t look at is much if ever as it is on the top of the gateway and the gateway is like 6’ up so have to have a small step ladder to look down upon it without taking the gateway down. I don’t do that often as a position change impacts the reception so I try to leave mine alone as much as possible or I have to spend time getting it just right.

The screen on the gateway has limited reporting so it is not that helpful much of the time. Some of the gateways may have a little better reporting. The Nokia gateway display is not that important to me.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have recently changed over to T-Mobile Home WiFi. The gateway they supplied is an Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway. First, once you are set up and have your Internet running, you should NOT turn off your gateway. That’s why there is no power switch on the unit. The only way to cycle the power is to unplug the cable from the rear of the unit and you shouldn’t do it unless you're having some sort of a problem.

The unit’s display goes off after a minute or so. As iTinkeralot remarked, the front screen on the KVD21 has limited information. Virtually everything the unit displays is available in the app, and more. So yes, the front screen should go off unless you specifically press one of the front buttons to view it.