Question

T-mobile internet (5g) with mesh router connection

Badge

Hi 

When I add mesh routers to the T-mobile cylinder device, the internet speed drops by about half. I tried it with Google Wifi and Eero 6, and I have the same problems with both. If I connect directly to the cylinder device, I have faster internet speech and this is noticeable. I would still prefer to use my mesh routers because of the coverage area. Can anyone gives me advice? 

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You might want to check out you tube, someone named nater tater, if you haven’t already.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I found that if I connected my Orbi router to the Gateway and also had other devices connected to the Gateway via ethernet, speed was decreased significantly.

But if I connected the Orbi to the Gateway but connected other devices to the Gateway using Wi-Fi and not ethernet, speed was not decreased.

Assuming you put it in bridge mode? Made it a modem only?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Assuming you put it in bridge mode? Made it a modem only?

The T-Mobile Gateway does not support bridge mode.    I have my Orbi router configured as an Access Point.

I have an Orbi 4200 connected to port 1 of the T-mobile modem.  I have the Orbi as the router for the house’s ethernet system (unmanaged switch) and WiFi router; the T-mobile 2.4GHz WiFi is turned off and every other SSID on the 5GHz channel with exception of SSID5.  I have the SSID5 enable and unbroadcast.  With this setting, my Orbi Speedtest regularly get over 400 Mbps Dn and 50 Mbps Up.  I test almost every week, probably more.  

See wifi 6 has faster speeds that's why you notice different speed when using wifi 5 devices I notice it to but when I have my orbi plugged into the Nokia 5g thing I get the same speeds but wifi 6 just has better connectivity so that's why people will notice it but the best way to do is buy ethernet powerline devices they are very cheap now days hook one up to the Nokia and then hook the other one to your wifi mesh system you will notice your speeds are the same as the wifi 6 system but to get the best experience I highly recommend buying a wifi 6 system you can find them on ebay if your willing to spend they kinda high at the moment but since wifi 6e came out the wifi 6 will drop orbi ones are the best routers to use bc they tri band instead of dual band you would want to get tri band bc it's better thur walls and stuff I been using t mobile home internet for about a year I been very pleased with t mobile home internet and also you can save extra on your bill if you have T-Mobile Home Internet you can apply thur the emergency internet program which is called ebb as along you get snap or anything like health insurance and others you can get approved thur national verifier 1st and then get approved and then apply on t mobile site to apply for the emergency board band benefit program it's will knock off 50 dollars off your bill so basically I get free internet from t mobile my bill was 315 now it's 255 a month and if you do autopay your save more since I have alot for devices on my account I save extra with autopay so with 25 more off bc of autopay my bill is down to 220 a month so it's all helps I am glad t mobile offers that discount if it wasn't for it I wouldn't be able to save so I figured I would let people know they can get that help

I have an Orbi 4200 connected to port 1 of the T-mobile modem.  I have the Orbi as the router for the house’s ethernet system (unmanaged switch) and WiFi router; the T-mobile 2.4GHz WiFi is turned off and every other SSID on the 5GHz channel with exception of SSID5.  I have the SSID5 enable and unbroadcast.  With this setting, my Orbi Speedtest regularly get over 400 Mbps Dn and 50 Mbps Up.  I test almost every week, probably more.  

You can go to Walmart they have wifi 6 orbi system for 179 it's a 3 pack wifi 6 is getting cheaper since wifi 6e just came out 

And also if you have snap or any health insurance you can apply for the ebb program t mobile offers but you have to get applied thur national verifier 1st and then if you get approved then apply thur t mobile and then once they notice your approved you will see 50 dollar knocked off your bill

will your router setup such as dynamic DNS and port forwarding work after plugging into the 5g home internet device?

I hear tmobile device dont have port forwarding in them. 

Badge

Hi kongster,

Let me see if I have this right.

1. Orbi 4200 connected to port 1 of the T-mobile modem.  
  2. Orbi as the router for the house’s ethernet system (unmanaged switch)
  3. Orbi as WiFi router;
  4. T-mobile 2.4GHz WiFi is turned off.
  5. every other SSID on the 5GHz channel with exception of SSID5 (turned off on T-mobile unit?).  
  6. SSID5 enable and unbroadcast.(?)  

So your t-mobile unit is not broadcasting any wifi signal?

So if you did broadcast a signal what would the speed be?

Thanks for the tip most useful so far.

I’m following this conversation as I have the same issue. Speed at the can is twice what I get at AP’s

currently not using a separate router. About to drop on in and run some tests.