Question

T-Mobile Internet and Storage Server Issues

• 4 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my T-Mobile internet connection when trying to access my storage server [https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/servers-storage/storage/], and I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot the issue.

Here's a brief overview of my setup:

• I have a T-Mobile internet connection at home.
  • I also have a storage server that I use to store and backup important data.
  • The storage server is connected to my local network, which is connected to the internet via the T-Mobile router.

Here are the issues I'm experiencing:

1. Slow transfer speeds: When I try to transfer large files from my PC to the storage server over the T-Mobile internet connection, the transfer speeds are extremely slow. It takes hours to transfer just a few gigabytes of data.

2. Connection drops: Sometimes, the connection between my PC and the storage server drops unexpectedly. This can be quite frustrating as it interrupts any ongoing file transfers or backups.

3. Inconsistent performance: I've noticed that the performance of the T-Mobile internet connection is inconsistent. Sometimes, it's fast and reliable, but at other times it's slow and unreliable.

I've tried a few things to troubleshoot the issues, such as resetting the T-Mobile router, changing network cables, and updating firmware on the storage server, but the problems persist.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues with T-Mobile internet and storage servers, and if so, what solutions did you find?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I am not experiencing your problem, but I do have a pretty robust network connected to my KVD21 gateway via Ethernet. Are you using a router as well, or just the gateway? Are you connected via WiFi or wired interface to your server?

Maybe there is some protocol that the storage server is running that is causing the problem? I use an iMac as a storage device as well as a Plex server, all connected via Ethernet through a Netgear Gigabite switch at the iMac side to another Netgear Gigabite switch where the gateway is located and then into the back of the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway. I have no problems, but if I'm streaming and scrubbing a video, I will notice some latency compared to my old setup with Xfinity.

Is there any chance you can temporarily connect the storage server directly to the gateway via Ethernet to see if the latency disappears?

As for the inconsistency of your Internet signal, we all have that behavior. As I understand it, the towers give priority to voice communications when there is a bandwidth crunch, and then return everything to normal once the tower’s traffic lightens up a bit. As I write this, I have 68 Mbps down, but during the day it can drop as low as 30-35 Mbps, depending on how many people are connected to my tower.

That’s why T-Mobile doesn't sell Internet access the same way, say, Xfinity does. The speed is designed to fluctuate, and the more robust signal you get, the better the overall performance will be at your location.

I hope some of this rambling helps your situation. Good luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @judywatson 

Along with @bocaboy2591’s comments and re-reading your complaint I am thinking of a problem I had - “Slow transfer speeds: When I try to transfer large files from my PC to the storage server over the T-Mobile internet connection, the transfer speeds are extremely slow. It takes hours to transfer just a few gigabytes of data.” 

- I wonder if your network topology has you pushing out your data onto the Internet and coming back to your local storage server. Can you try to transfer a large file from your local PC to your local storage server, but unplug your gateway from your network switch? Does it transfer faster? And to @bocaboy2591’s comment, make sure you are using ethernet and not wifi to transfer the file. 

For your 2nd complaint - “Connection drops: Sometimes, the connection between my PC and the storage server drops unexpectedly. This can be quite frustrating as it interrupts any ongoing file transfers or backups.” - Are these internet connections or local device connections (PC to local storage server)? What are your signal metrics? How many bars do you have on the front display? Using your T-Mobile Internet app, what are your RSRP, RSRQ, and SINR metrics on your 5G connection? If you have high ( < 12) SINR then you can connection stability issues. 

I suspect that if you fix the 1 and 2 issues, that will correct your 3rd complaint. 

I hope this helps!