Question

t-mobile model KVD21Home Internet - four bars, no data

• 1 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

T-Mobile model KVD21. Megabytes per second  extremely low. Receiving four bars on unit.

Have to get this resolved. Several people depend on Quality High Speed Internet!   

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You should check the TM Internet App under the “Quality Metrics” tab and see what bands you are connecting with and the Power, SNR, and Signal Quality numbers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Rand62 I agree with @Rogracer2000, the cell tower and gateway metrics are the important numbers to watch (bars not so much). 

Using your T-Mobile Internet app - tap the “More” link at the bottom of the screen > “Advanced cellular metrics” > 5G: look at your RSRQ, RSRP, and SINR metrics - ensure you are on a 5G band - I am on n41. Look at the metrics reference below.

Let us know what your metrics are.

Badge

5G is down. LTE is the only one working.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

So it looks like your tower 5G bands may be down (perhaps being serviced), and the 4G bands are being overwhelmed with traffic.   You could call them and see.  

Badge

• Hi Rogracer2000
    Thank you for your assistance. Yes I contacted T-Mobile and they said that their engineers are working on it. What I find unusual though is my next door neighbor has a 5G phone which is pulling 153 Mbps, while I'm getting around 2.45 Mbps down / 0.00 Up, or  0.50 down and 0.00 up. Found this out about an hour ago. As of now three of us are using our hot spots which are supposed to be unlimited, but I've heard they will throttle them back. Guess if that happens we’ll be back into the Dial-up days. Kind of stinks when theirs only two choices, T-Mobile 5G home internet that doesn't work properly or DSL. I'll drive by the towers tomorrow to see if they're actually working on it or if I'm just getting the runaround. Thanks again, Rogracer2000. Much appreciated.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Unlike your phone, the TM router connects to a specific tower assigned to your address.  Phones can connect with alternate towers when there are tower problems.  I believe the TM service may be able to re-assign your router to another tower if the problem persists.

Badge

Oh I see. Thank you for that bit of information. I have some good news. Today I was placing the gateway in various windows around house and found a sweet spot, and now receiving 5G w/ cellular metrics - RSRQ -8, RSRP -95, SINR 6. Fingers crossed. Nothing happens. Now I got to go figure out a Wi-Fi booster to go on the other side. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.