T-Mobile non return fee on gareway scam

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have sent my gateway back using the return label provided by T-Mobile. The tracking(1Z0545229096661887) shows delivered on November 2nd 2022. T-Mobile now charged me $399 + tax for non return. They are scamming people by charging the money for the device they received and now the agent and the supervisor is convincing me that they will take care of $200 and the remaining is my responsibility. i am not accepting that offer as T-Mobile is scamming people and getting free money.

What can i do to get this charges taken care. Can i file a lawsuit on this as i have all the proof of delivery. T-Mobile says that they cannot locate the device.

23 replies

They charged me for it too! I returned the device I canceled. I didn't even know what device they were talking about at first. I sent it back I was told they would wave the fees. I'm going to call corporate you should too. This is ridiculous!!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

so what happen here to both of you what was the outcome?

They said for for me to keep calling and when the device is there they will make a decision. I was like $467 extra on my bill. I even told them why didn't anyone just call me and ask me to return or I will have to pay a fee. Think about it what do I need a internet box for if I canceled it and said I don't want it anymore. Besides it was way too much money for the internet and the deluxe speed. Not worth it. They wouldn't even take it at the store they said I have to ups it so I did. It's not fair if I returned it and still have to pay for it when I only used it for like 2 months.

They are doing the same thing to us. They charged my account a $249 fee for a non returned device. It was returned and confirmed that it was in their warehouse. They still charged us and say they did not recieve it! This is infuriating knowing it was returned!

Same thing is happening to me right now. I setup a date to return my modem but it got misplaced and I failed to return it. 2 months later I get a Failure-to-Return fee on my account of $220. The same day I noticed it I contacted T-Mobile and explained the situation, they told me to return it asap and I can get refunded the extra $220 on my bill. I returned it that day and waited a week “per their instructions” and called T-Mobile to get the fee waived. They told me that they would only meet me halfway and pay $110 of the $220 fee.. Why am I being charged a fee at all since you now have the device? The device was only used for a month due to the extremely low performance of the internet service anyway.. This needs a resolution and I see this is happening to multiple people..

They are doing the same thing to us. They charged my account a $249 fee for a non returned device. It was returned and confirmed that it was in their warehouse. They still charged us and say they did not recieve it! This is infuriating knowing it was returned!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Small claims court is your friend.  I filed numerous justifiable suits against airline companies, and Lowes.

They have always called me to settle for the full amounts.  For the amounts you are talking about, do you really think they will tie up personnel to go to court?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Small claims court is your friend.  I filed numerous justifiable suits against airline companies, and Lowes.

They have always called me to settle for the full amounts.  For the amounts you are talking about, do you really think they will tie up personnel to go to court?

Did they pay you back the fees too?  Otherwise, you would be out the filing fee.

I would also contact the state AG, with enough cases, maybe they will give TMO a call.  Maybe a class action lawyer will hear of it and take it on.

T-Mobile is doing the same thing to me. I returned the gateway through UPS after the store refused to take it. My December bill was $0.00 but they sent a bill in January for $395.99 for an unreturned gateway. I had saved all communications from T-Mobile since April 2022 when I cancelled my service because they never cancelled my account. Unfortunately, I disposed of them when the December bill came so I no longer have the UPS tracking information. The guy at the UPS store said this is happening to a lot of people. It’s interesting to me that most of these complaints are within the same timeframe of September/October through December 2022. Either someone at T-Mobile is stealing the returned gateways or there is an entire section of the warehouse they haven’t checked. Also, the charges aren’t consistent. 

Ditto here:( Returned their ARC KVD21 GATEWAY BLK KIT with IMEI 864644068627637(per the Return Order # 71017885081, Return Order Date 11/21/2022 with tracking # 1Z9E86E79038349967). I packaged the thing using their packaging box with the return label attached. Dropped it off at the UPS Staples on 11/28/2022. Package proof of Delivery below:

Now, after two calls with their customer service from their NY(before xmas 2022) and NJ T-Mobile office (two weeks ago), they still charged my account for this device for $234.00! :(  There is clearly an anomaly here and T-Mobile management is well advised to look into this pattern of “missing” devices and make this right with their customers. This gateways are like phones. Carriers will know if they have been active when and where. Now, why should any right-minded person not return this device and not able to use? It does not make sense at all! Ergo, T-Mobile has work to do to make their operations efficient and account for all these “missing” devices. These unwelcome “non-return” charges are unnecessary stress to us affected customers! And this must STOP!

ATTENTION: T-Mobile investors. Take note of this anomalous practices. This will affect your shares somehow in the not so distant future if not corrected in time.

Proof of Delivery

So I am a victim too of this scam. I called so many times and the return fee keeps getting lowered. I am disgusted and beyond furious. I have been going through this since June 2022. Today I was talking to a rep via app and again with they still haven’t found it and no refund( which is lower than what I paid) We should file a class action suit against them because this is unacceptable!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @DeDon,

I’m assuming you disputed the charge by TMO for the gateway with your credit card issuer.  What was the outcome of that?  Thanks!

Got me today as well.  Canceled our account paid our full amount off so they would release our phone numbers as we moved to xfinity for ½the price.  They said they would send me a return label and never did. Called asked for another said they did but we never received it forgot all about it then seen a $250 charge on the account so we called they said we needed to return our device and they would return the money. Returned it still have the receipt but now they are saying they won't return the money since it's a " service fee " and not a payment for the device it's self.  So we are going to make a claim with our bank showing it was returned and see if they will return the money 

So I was told on the phone that I would get an email with a return label for the crappy home internet .  I never got one . After they charged me $400 I called and the representative confirmed the email was never sent . Him and supervisor advised me that it was my fault because I didn’t call back and remind them to send the label . I was confused because I didn’t know I worked for T-Mobile . I knew it had to be some scam going on and coming here to see these reviews are disturbing. 

I'd be interested in reviewing those filings. Would you mind sharing the county and state where the suits were filed?  I always thought these companies would try to invoke the ridiculous arbitration clause they all put into the TOs for everything if you tried to sue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I'd be interested in reviewing those filings. Would you mind sharing the county and state where the suits were filed?  I always thought these companies would try to invoke the ridiculous arbitration clause they all put into the TOs for everything if you tried to sue. 

See T-Mobile’s terms and conditions (https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions)

“By accepting these T&Cs, you are agreeing to resolve any dispute with us through individual binding arbitration or small claims dispute procedures (unless you opt out), and to waive your rights to a jury trial and to participate in any class action suit.”

7620 city Ave Philadelphia store clerk ****809 told me I could take back the gateway internet device if I didn’t want it.  I tried to take back yesterday and was told I had to call for a shipping label.  I’ve been on hold for over an hour.  Fraud.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Bnell. "Fraud"

More likely incompetence.

So glad I read this thread. I am SO unhappy with this internet. I love the price, but as they say, "You get what you pay for." I don't game. I don't use my computer much after working all day. I can't watch YouTube TV in anything more than 480p without continuous buffering. When working from home, everything is soooo slllooooww. I switched from Xfinity because it was getting so expensive, and T-Mobile internet was FINALLY available in my area. I'm thinking about going back. But reading about how T-Mobile is scamming people out of money after returning equipment, I'm hesitant. I might take my chances, though. I have tried everything I can think of, and I don't want to invest too much time or energy or money into work-arounds and what-nots to boost the speed. It just sucks. 

Sorry. Rant over. Hopefully I won't run into the same money problems as others when returning the equipment. 🤞

I have sent my gateway back using the return label provided by T-Mobile. The tracking(1Z0545229096661887) shows delivered on November 2nd 2022. T-Mobile now charged me $399 + tax for non return. They are scamming people by charging the money for the device they received and now the agent and the supervisor is convincing me that they will take care of $200 and the remaining is my responsibility. i am not accepting that offer as T-Mobile is scamming people and getting free money.

What can i do to get this charges taken care. Can i file a lawsuit on this as i have all the proof of delivery. T-Mobile says that they cannot locate the device.

This just happened to me yesterday!  2 months ago the package was confirmed delivered by UPS to their wearhouse. They are claiming the wearhouse received the box but didn't scan in the item, therefore I owe them $402!  They say i cannot open an investigation with UPS and they claim they cannot contact their wearhouse to see what happened to the package. They threatened to send me to collections if I don't pay for an item they clearly received and gave me no recourse except which payment methods to use. It's sad to see this is a scam they've got going on, after reading so many similar complaints here.

I've already contacted the FCC, and I will follow up with the BBB and spread the word on social media that t mobile must be doing so bad they are scamming their customers!

Ihad the exact thing happen yesterday!  What is going on with this company?

I am so angry with T-mobile.  DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!

This is ridiculous. We are all part of the same SCAM and those on this forum are certainly the smallest percentage of those to  whom this happened.

We should write to the New York Time. This is a scandalous SCAM by t-mobile!