Question

T-molbile Home internet

• 2 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Is there a way I can pay more for faster internet speeds?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Internet speeds usually depends on location. What plan are you on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Boy is that a loaded question. :-) With the $50/month solution it has the tag, not available everywhere and the reality is with a cellular solution if the location of the gateway is in a location where cellular coverage is very difficult to penetrate then it is NOT the proper solution. There are many obstacles and challenges to the delivery of the cellular signals. If you receive a strong signal that is fairly clean and has little RF noise then it can be improved. If the signal strength, quality and noise is not good then money for “faster speeds” may not be the best approach. First you need to determine how much speed you need and what your options really are. 

Distance to a tower/cell, mountains, trees, buildings etc… all have to be considered. Maybe you have a reasonable signal reception where you are. It is hard to say if money alone will resolve the problem. Well, maybe more money than you want to fork over. Comcast is on our street and to come down from the one neighbor’s house across the street and two doors down they were okay doing that for $20k. Yes, that is right. Money can get more speed but...

I have 4 full bars on our t-mobile  cell phones where I live and seldom have any dropped calls. Considering the dropped calls could be the person I am speaking with and their location. there are only two in the household. We on occasion are watching 2 separate TVs and on 2 iPads . Not sure if the T-mobile internet has enough band width. We also have Simple safe and arlo cameras running on our current Spectrum internet.

Not sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

With 4 bars and a clean signal it should work well. I only get 3 bars showing but I go by the cellular metric values to tune up the frequency. I have very good and/or excellent RSRQ and SINR metrics and good RSRP values and the service is actually very reliable for us. I know we have streamed 2-3 concurrent sources from time to time. I have a couple dozen different clients on the LAN and have no problem with service. I don’t have IOT devices but that is not my focus. If you have a clean, quality cellular signal it should perform well. Signal strength is great but great RSRQ and SINR metrics tend to improve performance as there are fewer retransmissions as the content is delivered faster and clean with less communication churn. It seems like you have a good signal so that is a great start.