Question

Tablets do not want to connect to T-Mobile home internet

• 14 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello, 

Just wanted to see if people are getting the same issue as me. Cut the cable cord recently and switched to t-mobile high speed internet. For the most part, so far been happy. The “devices’ feature on the app stopped working but that’s not a big concern. What I’m really wondering is why are my tablets not connecting to this wifi? Does it have to do with the encryption type being newer than my tablets (tablets are a little aged)? Or does it have to do with Wifi 5 or Wifi 6? I dont mind going out and getting a new tablet, but if that is the case, what am I supposed to look for with the wifi connection in the new tablet? We’ve tested other connections on the older tablets I currently own at it works fine. Any recommendations? 

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@DrewD with my experience, I found that if I used anything more advanced that WPA password encryption, some of my devices would not connect to my setup. I am using the Sagemcom gateway > Netgear MR60 wifi6 mesh system > devices. I played with a stronger encryption method (e.g., WPA2) for the password on the mesh Wi-Fi and found a few devices could not connect. When I changed back to WPA then they were good to go. 

I hope this helps. 

Badge
The only options to select are 
WPA/WPA2
WPA2

WPA2/WPA3 (recommended)

I do not have a mesh system, however, I tried to play with these and try to connect and it didn’t work for me. I will keep trying. but are you recommending I switch it to WPA/WPA2?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

The general rule is to always use the highest security settings you can use on your system. If you can use WPA3 you should. But if your devices can’t log in then the system then the security level is worthless. 

I think you are on track focusing on the individual devices that can’t connect. Maybe they need drivers? Try Googling the device name and how to connect to Wi-Fi. 

Good luck!

This is the way they are designed also happens with phone they won't tell you about that I suggest everyone experiencing this problem demand an adjustment to their bill, they are effectively charging you for a service they're not providing 

I have not had a problem with my android tablet, but I have had a problem with my Apple iPad not wanting to connect every time it is turned off when I go to turn it on again I have to go to settings and turn the Wi-Fi off and then turn it back on again for it to connect to The Internet. I was told by T-mobile support it’s an Apple problem and one of the iOS updates is going to fix it but it apparently after several update, nothing is changed and is still having to be turned off and on again in the settings before I can use it each time  But T-Mobile insist. It’s an Apple problem. I’m beginning to have my doubts. Just frustrating and aggravating.