Question

tmobile 5g internet

• 14 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I just recently started using the 5g home internet and as a hardcore gamer the ping is horrible. Constant 60 ping when I used to run hard 0 using Comcast.

The main reason I believe my ping is so bad is because, I believe t mobile is using towers from Oregon (shows when running a speed test on multiple sites) when I'm in Washington I don't know if anyone else is having similar issues but to my knowledge theirs towers all over my area some not even a mile away. I was wondering if this is a bug or intentional? If it is a bug is there a way to fix this?. My download is 500+ and my upload is 70+ which is why I'm surprised my ping is soo sooo bad.

3 replies

Badge

Sounds like your upload and download speeds are similar to mine.  I’m generally getting 30-40 ms ping during gaming in CS GO and Pub G. Very playable. What is your setup inside your home?  Are you using an Ethernet connection or wireless for your computer? I basically just use the TM gateway as a modem and use an Asus mesh system to manage the traffic… seems to work pretty good overal

Towers are not going to give you a local IP unless you live in a major city where there is enough infrastructure to support all of the needs to route cellular traffic to for an entire state or more.  If you are a hardcore gamer, you might want to go back to Comcast because wired connections will always be better than wireless when it comes to latency.  

Thats the thing I do live near a major city (Seattle) which is why I'm confused as to why t mobile is choosing Oregon servers over Washingtons.

Sounds like your upload and download speeds are similar to mine.  I’m generally getting 30-40 ms ping during gaming in CS GO and Pub G. Very playable. What is your setup inside your home?  Are you using an Ethernet connection or wireless for your computer? I basically just use the TM gateway as a modem and use an Asus mesh system to manage the traffic… seems to work pretty good overall.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Towers are not going to give you a local IP unless you live in a major city where there is enough infrastructure to support all of the needs to route cellular traffic to for an entire state or more.  If you are a hardcore gamer, you might want to go back to Comcast because wired connections will always be better than wireless when it comes to latency.