Question

tower messages

• 28 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I keep getting messages from unknown person on my wifi tower

6 replies

Badge

It could just be a scam call or wrong number. The tower/gateway has a regular cell number. I do not yet know if calls or texts can be blocked, but can be deleted. 

Badge

I experienced the same issue a few days ago.  I have not deleted them yet, but I don't have access to them right now.  What I know is that there were nine.  Very random.  Some might have been robocalls, but at least two were very short phrases and personal, almost as if they were picked from a conversation.  For example, one is along the line of, "Yeah, I told you that.". (Not verbatim, but ver y similar ier ent and n cndontext.")

My network is private and protected.  I've had excellent service with only a few rather minor problems, such as the  connection dropping for a few seconds and recovering on its own.  I rarely reach 5g, but I average about 10 connected devices at any one time without an extender or additional equipment, and maintain no less than four bars on the signal screen.

I will keep reading, but if anyone can offer more insight I'd be very grateful.

And by the way, I did not hijack the OP's post, but I thought it best to piggyback on the OP's post in an effort to contain the topic in one thread since our issues are nearly identical and within a relatively close timeframe.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The community manager offered info in the thread below. You may have to contact T-mobile to have them block the messages if they become to much of an annoyance.

https://community.t-mobile.com/tv%2Dhome%2Dinternet%2D7/spamtext%2Dmessages%2Dare%2Ddisplaying%2Don%2Dmy%2Dmodem%2Dhow%2Ddo%2Di%2Dstop%2Dthis%2D44451

Badge

Thank you for providing the link, Darko66.  I received nine messages, and for the most part they were random one or two sentence with no context.  Nothing indicated that they were robocalls or a "wrong number".  Two were personal,  and of those two, one was not a complete sentence.    I don't have access to them at. the moment, but the other was along the lines of, "Yeah, I told you that".  The syntax between those two was similar and gave me the impression they were snippetsextracted from one side of a conversation or chat. In other words, random chatter picked up by my device.

I'm not an engineer.  Don't know the answer.  So I'm posing the question.  If data can seep in, unintentionally or not, it's logical to conclude it can also seep out.  It happens is aerospace technology when equipment on earth picks up sound signals from other planets and stars.  Radio waves travel all around us.   My concern, therefore, is if, indeed, a breach exists is it a bi-directional leak?  That could be a game changer for me, and I'd appreciate a direct answer.  If my thought process is all wrong because I lack knowledge on the subject, great!  I'd be overjoyed.

I will look for the message blocker mentioned at the link and research the forum to see if others are reporting the same problem, and try to find more info on the blocker.  Does it stop incoming and outgoing signals?

In the meantime, perhaps a rep from tech support will  perform his due diligence  and issue a statement of fact to reassure your customers.  I, for one, would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks again for posting the link.

I understand that the hotspot home internet has a phone number associated with it. That doesn't mean it should be able to receive messages. It should be like when you try to text a land line. It should have a reply message that tells the sender "this number does not send or receive texts" . Or something to that affect. Mine had 175 messages on it. Not only were the texts all spam and wrong numbers, but you also have to delete them 1 at a time. This is time consuming. I don't know if this is causing the internet to keep losing signal or not. We have to reboot it all the time. When it works, it works great. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Why not just ignore any messages coming into the Gateway?  Why the need to delete them?