Question

Web GUI log in

• 16 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Issues with logging into the Web GUI web interface -5G home interface 

While not a major issue with me as my internet service here is 287-298 Mbps download and 3-6Mbps upload. Not bad, considering the gateway shows 2 bars.

There so far is no issues with the gateway modem thus I use the home wifi app to set up and change the default network name. 

What has confused me was when it comes time to access the Web GUI router login page.

It wants the username and password. My first assumption was to use my T mobile account user name (which is usually email) and password to sign into the Web GUI. esp after you finalized things on the home wifi app.

The home wifi app had me change the default password. But apparently the web GUI does not carry over the changes and is weird since it is stored on the gateway. Maybe a firmware fix??? 

My initial reason to visit the GUI web page was to change the screen time out to "always on". On many modems it has most menu settings on the device. 

Well it wouldn't take my online billing account credentials nor the new password; or default and had to wait to be unlocked; 

I called tech support and they thought it was the bad gateway and thus order me another; no charge for shipping or any of it. 

So once the replacement came, I latter on that day, pack up the other one and drop it off at usp store. No charge to return it. I just didn't have a working printer, and had to pay 2.00 to print it off. 

But as expected, I ran into the same issue. It was not accepting either the default user name or the password; as I was entering the password and not the wi-fi default password to log in..

Well after a phone call what it boils down to, is to factory reset the unit. Apparently I have to change the GUI administration log in BEFORE I finalize the set up on the app side. 

I'm just glad I didn't get a 2nd unit replacement again lol. 

The way the manual is written, the PDF download, states that you sign in, via the default user name and password for the first time, then change it. It's apparently not connected to your t mobile sign in ID.

But you would expect that once you create a log in password for the T mobile home wifi app, that it would store that on the gateway and that, your actual T mobile account ID is what should get you into the GUI webpage log in page as well. Obviously not 🤦.

Now bare in mind that this gateway cellular wifi modem is a wi-fi 6 / ac version. You will have to upgrade those non wifi 6 devices or change the default settings **if** the router has that option. 

What will happen is, you'll still connect but loose internet access. And you will see on some devices, a "!" Explanation mark. 

To get around this, you should be able to connect your router and re run the set up on the app or router login page (once the device is logged in). But perhaps compatibility dependant or firmware update on your router you already have.

You will have to turn off the gateway N1 Wi-fi bands and force the unit to work, solely as a modem. 

Two networks cannot co exist. There's huge speed drops and or devices loosing a connection; I found this out the hard way. I ditched my ISP for data only. 

I relied on a 100GB hotspot hotspot modem jetpack, on a 2nd line as went full time. Did this for a year. 

I recently got home wifi from T mobile that will eventually replaced my portable hotspot modem line (but can't cancel that service to it) til the device is paid off. I did take the hotspot modem down to it's cheapest plan. My phone bill only increased by 10/mo. 

This saves me money, because I had my phone plan, data only plan, plus my residential ISP internet. When I cancelled them, I saved 60/mo. Paying for two different forms of internet was rediculous.

Home Wi-fi with T mobile is what I've been waiting for. Now I'm averaging 2 bars, as yes it's by a window. Already walked around in my trailer and outside and get a steady 2 bars.

The app shows that it's weak. But when I ran speed tests, I'm pulling in, nearly 300 Mbps download and 3-6Mbps upload. 😁 That my friend is sweet. 

T mobile's home WiFi is actually faster than the ISP in town; and its cheaper. What I wish they would do, is change the policy and allow home wifi customers to travel with the unit. 

I get it, I do, but there's nationwide 5g; or remove data caps for customers who have a certain phone plan.

It's when you run out of data 

You cannot stream or run anything on 600Kbps; that's the speed you get, if you exhaust your data (that applies to phones and hotspot) and not for home WiFi. This is definitely NOT 3G speeds. 

Anyways, my main reason for asking the community is with regards to logging into the GUI webpage. Has anyone else had trouble signing in? No I don't have VPN on. 

I think there's a website glitch. Though I wish the Home Wi-fi app would offer all the settings as the web interface. 

Not everyone has a computer 😂. And apparently you can't sign in via a mobile device.

PC only and the supported web browser for the GUI webpage log in. I use Microsoft edge. 

No issues with YouTube, even in full HD. Amazon Prime streams ok. I use Android TV box. To access Hulu, since the app developer, does not offer support for the Android TV box, I rely on Microsoft edge browser. 

I bit choppy and figuring out what settings in the browser help. A way to test this is to try it on various devices and see if the device, the app, or browder change anything.

My WiFi coverage in my trailer by the way is 100%. Most people will not need to change the default settings on the gateway. 

​​​

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The only 5G T-Mobile gateway that now allows web GUI administrative access is the Nokia.
After the firmware update of the Arcadyan gateway it now only allows admin access via the T-Mobile home internet mobile application. The Sagemcom is the same in that respect. The web GUI now has very limited use with those two gateways. 

Badge

Ok. So apparently it's my device that doesn't support the Web based GUI. I was hoping to force the LCD screen on the top to stay on.

The service is amazing. I'm pulling in 2 bars 5G, but yields 120 Mbps download. Open signal measured over 200 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you want to see some interesting test results give speed.cloudflare.com a run. It is one of the best ones I have seen. I have also used fast.com as it is interesting to see the differences between the different resources. 
The functionality of the T-Mobile gateways is pretty limited and basic. They access the cellular source and provide local network access. The n41 frequency can provide great speeds for the cost. It varies from time to time depending upon load and conditions. Cellular delivery can be a challenging task and some locations are just limited as to the signals that can reach.