Question

When will firmware for the Nokia 5G home router be updated to add true router functionality?

• 24 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

As everyone who’s slight more advanced at configuration home routers and has migrated to T-Mobile’s 5G Home internet with the Nokia modem, the configuration is more of a modem and not a home router. I would like to open external ports and direct them do specific IP addresses and ports. Hell, I’d like to be able to change the private subnet address range or have multiple private subnets using 802.1q for different classes of devices in my home… Even better, if TMobile Nokia 5G Home internet is a modem… that just make it modem with a single WAN address assigned and I can use my home router to do everything else.

Is this coming? Is TMobile going to serve needs of advanced (sort of) users? It’s a great, fast, reliable service for me, just which the made the solution whole.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Their network topology upstream breaks unsolicited inbound IPv4 traffic.  So it doesn't matter if their modem allows port forwarding or even a bridged mode.

XLAT464/CGNAT

Has been discussed here for over a year now.

New modems supposed to start rolling out Q1 of 2022, but until they fix the layers upstream... will be in the same boat when it comes to the port forwarding and bridge mode situation.

As to managing the LAN addresses and such, that remains to be seen.  All that is unlocked in our LTE only Askey modems (as well as DMZ, UPnP and manual forwarding--how we figured out it was all broken upstream from us).  Will have to wait to see what they allow in the new 5G device.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Userlevel 1

I just spoke to a few different reps last night about this. They all said the same thing "they are working on (fixing) the XLAT464/CGNAT, it's a top priority". But they have no eta.

They do not offer options for non CGNAT ip, north static IP on home packages only business package which requires you to have a business license and also comes with other terms as far as data cap/use. 

* Essentially, "go back to a normal ISP".

I love the service other than the XLAT464/CGNAT issue but it's a big enough issue for me to look for alternatives asap or at least go back to my old stupid provider as soon as this my current month is up I am gone.

I'll be back once they get their act together.

They definitely need to be more forth coming about in their marketing material/sign up process.

Not once it was mentioned, working from home and at times onsite and having to connect back to my home network it's a bit of an issue. Not to mention now the kids on holidays vacay constantly complaining about they can't play with their friends online…

I feel at least they need to have an option to pay say 5-15$ more for a static ip or even a dynic IP they is not CGNATed and modems supporting bridge mode at minimum. 

Again great service, horrible implementation.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m sure TMobile at large is very aware of the wide spread frustration with the dumbed-down cans. Hopefully there is enough noise where they will actually do something....soon.

Until then, the reps are most likely parroting what they were told to say, what they all agreed would be the standard generic reply. They don’t know any more than we do. 

Badge

I have StarLink Best Effort and T-Mobile Home internet. T-Mobile is beating StarLink in most speeds. I’m getting up to 200 mbps on 3 bars that occasionally drops to 2 bars. Both providers are using CGNAT (Carrier Grade Network Address Translation). CGNAT is just a super big LAN like we use except our subnet mask allows about 250 ip addresses and a CGNAT allows millions of non-public IP numbers. Starlink allows port forwarding on their router but all it does is let you double NAT instead of triple NAT. Most routers use DHCP to give out local ip numbers. You set up port forwarding on you router to send an incoming port number from the internet to the correct IP number  on you network, If you have another router connected to the first router, port forwarding will not work on the second router because you are double NATing. With CGNAT we are always the second router and I suspect there is no way for T-Mobile to provide port forward on CGNAT. T-Mobile is providing me a IPv6 number in addition to a non-public IPv4 number I am using. IPv6 has enough IP numbers for everyone to have a public IP. That would fix the port forwarding problem but most everything is still on IP4. Can any talk about when and if we will get the port forward problem solved? Is there a way to use T-Mobile IPv6 number now? Thank