Solved

Why 4G & Slow Speed?

• 9 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’ve had internet connection problems occasionally in the past, but have had none in weeks.  Now, however, I am having periods of really slow speed, like downloads of 2-4 mbps!  My speed is usually over a hundred, often 200 something and sometimes 300+. When the speed is so slow,  I notice on my gateway screen that my connection is “very good”, instead of the usual “good”, and it’s showing 4G in the top left corner, when it has always shown 5G before the slow speeds started.  The speed will pick up again after so many hours.  What’s possibly going on here? 

icon

Best answer by bocaboy2591 9 February 2023, 20:08

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Open a browser and type in 192.168.12.1. Check to see if the firmware version is 1.00.18. If it is, your firmware has recently been updated. There are several threads on this forum about this problem which seems to get solved by calling Support and telling them what you just stated above. There is apparently something they can do to restore your speed, but don't ask me what it is. I am in an area where I can only get 4G LTE, but my speeds are consistently good.

For the record, the firmware on my gateway was updated last week and I haven't experienced any problems. I suspect that’s because I can only get 4G on my gateway. The people who seem to be having an issue are those that got the update and were on 5G.

Good luck! Please let us know how you make out.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Okay, did what you said and I do have the latest update. On the app, I then did a reset. I hadn't before since I had unplugged the  gateway twice when trying to fix the problem.( Isn't unplugging it the same as doing a reset? ) After the reset last night, the 5G came back, and my speeds are 100+ or 200+, depending on which speed test I use. Thanks for your help. I'm so glad I didn't need to call customer support. 

P.S. I can't access this forum today, except on my cell phone. Keep getting the 403 error.