Question

Why is my device needing to be re-started multiple times per day to stay connected?

• 10 May 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

I cannot keep a connection. I am having to restart my device multiple times per day. Would an upgrade to a newer device help? When might the newer devices be available for those already having an accout. I am still using the original retangular white box.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I don't know the model of the gateway you have but it sounds as if you have the 4G LTE gateway. You really need to check and see if 5G delivery is available in your area. If your home is in an area where 5G has been deployed you should discuss getting the new 5G service and a new gateway to access it and cancel the original subscription or migrate it. If you do the auto pay then the newer solution is only $50 per month and if the 5G coverage is there it should open up much better internet service for you. I see no reason why they would not upgrade your home internet solution from the old 4G LTE to the newer 5G solution. If you do NOT ask you will not receive. You can go to the “Coverage” drop down link at the top the page and select the 5G & 4G coverage map and confirm the coverage in your area. If you see 5G is available then use the online chat to get to a live agent and tell them what you want and need. 

Badge

Thank you so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you are still on the 4G LTE router and T-Mobile has the tower monkeys working upgrading the tower to 5G service that might account for you having repeated disruptions. IF you know or can see the PCI value for the 4G LTE signal you will be able to locate the tower with cellmapper.net. You could contact the T-Mobile support and find out if they are working on that tower. It would not surprise me if they are upgrading equipment and your service is disrupted due to activities related to maintenance work on the tower. 

Badge

Thank you for all your help. They are working on towers here. Also, I am on the very edge of the service range for this area. I knew that when I started with them, but spotty coverage had to be better than anything else I could get. I love it. It is the only service around here that can handle streaming without buffering for an hour. They are upgrading to 5G and I would like to get a newer box router/receiver thing. You mentioned online chat. Can you guide me to that service, please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

During the business day hours is best. If you look to the top of the page i.e. the one you are reading this post on, you will see a drop down called Coverage. If you hover your mouse over the down arrow you will see Rural 5G & internet as an option. When you select that link and the page renders there should be a online chat pop open at the bottom right of the page. It will start out as a BOT but when you provide your information you can get to a a point where it will give you a live chat agent. That seems to be a good place to be. It is on the marketing side of the house it seems. They should be able to direct you to another chat agent that will be able to help you out. I have used it a few times now and found it helpful. No foreign accent just text. No sitting in a queue on the phone or waiting for a call back, though I have found that works as well. I prefer the live agent chat. It worked for me at least. 

Badge

Great! Thank you so much. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

One option you might consider is an external antenna. If you can see the tower or know where it is for sure then there are options to improve the signal reception. The external antennas can make a big difference. If/when they provide a 5G gateway that is the time to consider how to get the best signal and what you need to do to improve on what you have. If they are pushing out 5G on the n71 band in your area it would improve your options. The n71 5G signal can provide a very respectable solution out to 6 miles or so depending upon obstructions between the tower and your location. Every location is a different equation. Some places take a little more work to get a good stable signal. Other locations are just fortunate to be well under the umbrella of the cell signal and get great results. It is NOT as simple as a hard cable solution but I have seen a 10X improvement with bandwidth with T-Mobile over the DSL dual bonded solution I had in CA and for less money. It is not perfect but once T-Mobile gets the tower equipment dialed in and stable it is a nice solution. Better than many hard cable solutions with no contract and hidden fees and less cost. Hopefully they have a 5G tower 2-5 miles from your home then you will have a very good shot at a nice solution. 

I got service October 2022, and my device is 5G BUT. I have to restart it sometimes 3 times a day.  The signal is never less then 3 bars and normally 4.  My device is less than 3 weeks old.  Why does it need so many restarts?  Is my device defective?  Please will someone call me and tell me whats up?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The LED with the bars for signal strength is a rather generic reference and doesn’t tell you enough about both the primary and secondary signals. You need to use the admin interface to determine if both of them are up or not. If the  secondary 5G signal is dropping out that might explain some. In normal operation both should be up.