Question

youtube tv quality issues with tmobile home internet

• 24 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Poor youtube tv quality issues with tmobile home internet.

My t-mobile internet speed is just a fast and reliable as my old cable ISP, bit my youtube tv played via fire stick 4k is very poor compared to my cable ISP

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

YT has been having issues with their CDN for a while now... is REALLY affecting regular YT delivery, not just their live streaming service.

And it isn't isolated to TMO.  Can check monitoring sites and see complaints cropping up lately... downdetector gets posts almost daily about it.

Even at work on ATT Fiber, it sometimes forces videos down to 480/360p instead of 1080p... even the ad breaks will crap up occasionally.

May be getting compounded by the headers marking packets with TMO's ID... could be treating/deprioritizing things as mobile clients instead of residential.

Badge

I can switch back to my cable ISP and my YTTV picture quality is very good, then switch back to tmobile home internet and picture is generally poor.

My speed tests of my T-Mobile home internet always test goodabove 50mbps, but the latency is always slow at 450msec.

I have experienced numerous problems with Youtube videos streaming to T-Mobile home internet. I also called support team - nice people to talk to, but no fix.

Finally, as a work around, I connected to Youtube over a VPN. Magically, all the problems disappeared.

It shouldn’t be necessary to use a VPN for Youtube access. But for now, it solves the problem for me.

Youtube is not the only site exhibiting the problem. NordVPN has consistently solved the problem for me.

I've been getting problems with this too. Recently switched to home internet but the YouTube buffering is really making me rethink my decision. This only affects YouTube and sometimes Twitter. 

Several days after reporting the problem, the issue was fixed. It has not recurred in my location.
The support person did explain there was a problem with a tower in my local area and engaged with an engineering team as we spoke. No immediate resolution was available. Frankly, I don’t see, how a faulty tower would affect only Youtube. At least the support person was more pleasant to speak with than the cable internet people I used to deal with.

Good to know, thank you. I'll get in touch with support.

Badge

I just found this thread. It’s quite old, but curious if others still hvae this problem.  I switched to TM Home Internet recently and immediately noticed the YouTube TV quality difference. it’s awful compared to when I was connected to Spectrum. It’s the only service that has any difference between Spectrum and TM.