Home internet really slow and no 5g

• 19 June 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

I received my new 5G gateway Wednesday got it setup and did a speed test and saw I was getting 1mbs of download speed so I call support Thursday and they said I was connected to a good tower and (yes there is clean line of sight to the tower and I have 4 bars of signal) so they told be that the 5g chip in my modem has not activated yet so the schedule a time next week to call me back to give it time to activate. In the mean time I have to wait for this modem to pick up better service and deal with 1 to 3 mbs downloads speeds and hope by this following week something on t mobiles end actually starts working.

9 replies

What primary and secondary bands are you connected to? I would bet just a primary band maybe B12. The gateway is very directional so even just turning 45-180 degrees can make a big difference. If you aren’t already, using the T-mobile web GUI is much better than the mobile app to try and tune your system.

Badge

I have 4 bars on the primary and no secondary the band I'm on is B2 secondary tends to show up at times but only 2 bars and goes away after a couple of seconds 

Try moving your gateway to where you only get 2-3 bars and then reboot it to see if it will find a 5G secondary. Sometimes the primary gets locked in if it is a strong signal and moving it helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was getting really slow speeds and poor performance for about a month but found out they were working on the towers. Ever since then, my phones and home internet have been connecting to band 41, which shows up at Sprint, or connecting to b66a lot more. My speeds have been around 100mbps. Everything has been working so much better. I was at my wits end and ready to cancel service. Seems like they are upgrading towers and while doing so it's causing some headaches. I've noticed when my phone or home internet is on b12, it's pretty slow. B66 and 41 seem to be good. Speeds are also a lot steadier and don't fluctuate like they used to. I hope the service continues to improve. I've never noticed if the router connects to 5g, my phone does. Never have seen a secondary signal show up either. Not sure why but service is so much better now. It would be nice if they could send out a mass text when they are working on towers in an area because I was thinking that the service was just getting worse. It got to the point where nothing was useable. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was getting really slow speeds and poor performance for about a month but found out they were working on the towers. Ever since then, my phones and home internet have been connecting to band 41, which shows up at Sprint, or connecting to b66a lot more. My speeds have been around 100mbps. Everything has been working so much better. I was at my wits end and ready to cancel service. Seems like they are upgrading towers and while doing so it's causing some headaches. I've noticed when my phone or home internet is on b12, it's pretty slow. B66 and 41 seem to be good. Speeds are also a lot steadier and don't fluctuate like they used to. I hope the service continues to improve. I've never noticed if the router connects to 5g, my phone does. Never have seen a secondary signal show up either. Not sure why but service is so much better now. It would be nice if they could send out a mass text when they are working on towers in an area because I was thinking that the service was just getting worse. It got to the point where nothing was useable. 

I want to add that I'm also connecting to Sprint b25 as well. But mostly staying on b41 on all devices.

Every weekend for the last month my spends have gone to.  I just did a speed test and am getting .44 mbps. I have called and they are either working on the tower blocks from my house or one of the neighboring towers.  You should not offer home internet service if there is the effect of no service because you are working on the towers.   YOUR HOME INTERNET SUCKS!

Badge

Right after I installed the T-Mobile home internet I was getting 100-150mb down and 30-50mb up and I thought I had finally found decent internet service even though the latency was around 50. However, I think T-Mobile’s marketing strategy is, after a week or so (when you aren’t looking), to DEPRIORITIZE you so they can sell more mobile connections. Now I only connect to the primary signal even though my cellphone maintains a steady 3 bar 5G signal in my home and I can see my tower only 1000ft away. Now I only get only 0-20mb down and 0-5mb up and often cannot connect at all! It has been that way for the past 3 months. I hope they come to their senses soon because after hours and hours with tech support and no improvement, I’m ready to throw in the towel. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Well I had the same problem a lot of people had. The service was OK I was beating my old Xfinity speeds up and down for a much lower price however this was the big catch, it doesn’t work with Hulu live. Yes there are a ton of other streaming services but for some people in this household that apparently is the only one that matters. So I had to return the gateway and go back to Xfinity.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I received my new 5G gateway Wednesday got it setup and did a speed test and saw I was getting 1mbs of download speed so I call support Thursday and they said I was connected to a good tower and (yes there is clean line of sight to the tower and I have 4 bars of signal) so they told be that the 5g chip in my modem has not activated yet so the schedule a time next week to call me back to give it time to activate. In the mean time I have to wait for this modem to pick up better service and deal with 1 to 3 mbs downloads speeds and hope by this following week something on t mobiles end actually starts working.

Did they call you back and activate your account, and how is it working? It has been eight days since you posted

Most people receive an email about two days before they receive their 5G gateway in the mail, and it says your account and gateway have been activated. I saw a video of a guy setting up T mobile home internet a couple weeks before I got it. He was very experienced in tech, and things seemed to be going fine in the setup, but then no internet at all. He paused shooting the video, called up, found out he wasn’t activated. They activated it while he was on the line, and then it worked fine.

Having seen his video, I was relieved when I ordered my service and got the email saying I was activated before I even got the gateway. I understand how most people wouldn’t even understand that this is a thing, needing to be “activated.”