Question

Home Internet & Wifi calling

Badge

just set up new Tmobile home internet in a rural area-all carriers are iffy here but the Tmobile speed and connection are ok at home (not so much in some communities near me).  That is the issue-I have my cell service on Verizon (best coverage all communities) and it will not connect a wifi calling attempt.  All other cell services work flawlessly and if I use a different sip the wifi calling works on the phone. I have tried a different router (actually 3 of them as well as mesh system all with the same results-internet traffic is good and no wifi calling)  I would like to resolve this and continue with Tmobile but without wifi calling its not helpful-any suggestions?

38 replies

After spending half the day with the Sagemcom gateway 1.2.74 firmware and making several phone calls with WiFi calling enabled across multiple phones in my household, I can comfortably say that my WiFi calling issue has been resolved. I do hope the firmware update will resolve everyone else’s WiFi calling issues. I did not know how much I depended on this feature until I found myself without it. Good luck to everyone in the same situation!

So like most everyone else I’ve just been living with wifi calling disabled using the Sagemcom gateway, but seeing some hope show up here is amazing. If I factory reset my gateway and then let it do its normal set up any chance that would trigger the firmware upgrade? Trying to avoid calling in and spending that much time on the phone to get it updated but checking now I’m still on 1.1.52

I don't know but, it sounds logical. I read somewhere that upon powering up their Gateway for the first time, it immediately installed an update to the latest firmware. I don't know if that would happen on a factory reset. If you try it, let us know the results. Thanks.

Sadly no dice on the factory reset...I even left it for a few hours while I went out to dinner before going through the setup on the app. Looks like the only way to get the update is to patiently wait or get on the phone and hope you get a rep that’s willing to manually push the update to your gateway.

Thanks for trying and for letting us know. I don’t know why they’re dragging this out. There can’t be that many of this new model out there to bog down their server….unless they want to make sure the update doesn’t break anything before pushing it out to everyone.

Well, I got it last night (in the wee hours) and it looks like the Sagemcom gateway 1.2.74 firmware update did the trick. WiFi calling seems to be working fine now. I hope everyone who needs it gets it soon.

We’ve had the 1.2.74 update now for a couple of days, and can happily report that the WiFi Calling feature is now working on our iOS phones. Thank you, T Mobile!  
Will continue to evaluate the new feature performance over time and report any issues here. But so far, so good. 

Can’t believe my luck…I guess I’m never getting WiFi calling 💀

https://www.tmonews.com/2023/02/modem-update-bricks-more-than-30k-t-mobile-home-internet-devices/?amp=1

Hmmm I have the same issue, no Wifi calling over the sagecom home internet, well I can call out but not receive calls. I was going to call T-mo for the new firmware but then I read about the bricking issue so I guess I will wait for them to fix the firmware.

After spending half the day with the Sagemcom gateway 1.2.74 firmware and making several phone calls with WiFi calling enabled across multiple phones in my household, I can comfortably say that my WiFi calling issue has been resolved. I do hope the firmware update will resolve everyone else’s WiFi calling issues. I did not know how much I depended on this feature until I found myself without it. Good luck to everyone in the same situation!

Did you test receiving calls?

Did you test receiving calls?

Yes, everything works as it should with the Sagemcom gateway 1.2.74 firmware. Initiating and receiving calls with WiFi calling is stable and reliable.

On a side note, my uptime without a WAN002 error (requiring reboot) is now 11 days and counting.

Jeez. I was on the phone with home internet support and prepaid support for hours working on this tonight. The usual phone ping-pong. I installed the Sagemcom router yesterday and my GF couldn’t call me since when I was home and on Wi-Fi. Stumbled across this thread just as I was about to give up. My FW is 1.1.52, so hopefully the update will hit in the next few days. Otherwise a great service.

I'm also glad that I found this thread. T-MHI, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 7 Pro, iPhone 12 Mini... WIFI calling won't work and we need it. TM has been covering towers in our area and the indoor phone service has dropped to nothing.

Two visits to stores and two very long customer support calls where the did vague things like remotely "resynchronized our phones" did nothing. Everyone I spoke with seemed to have zero knowledge of this issue. 

I asked about a cell-spot to boost my cell connectivity. They said that it wouldn't work because the cell booster they use actually connects to wifi to work and it isn't compatible with the TMHI. I said, "Maybe that is also why WIFI calling isn't working." He said, "We are kind of getting into the minutia of this, all I know is that won't work for you. Let's try some things I can do like Resynchronizing your phone to the network."

None of that worked. 

Side note that others have also mentioned... My work phone is a Samsung S22 FE and it WIFI Calls Just fine through my TMWI. ???

Yesterday, I moved two of my 4 lines off of T-Mobile and on to Verizon. Still no WIFI calling, but the cell service is a little better in the house.