Question

How do i know which device is connected to the internet

• 31 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have 11 devices connected to the internet, i want to disconnect them from the app but it doesn’t tell me an exact device name for example it gives me “Device (2B00) on one of them, which I have no idea what that would be, is there a way to know an exact name of the devices that are connected to the internet?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Jamir,

The reporting of the device 2B00 reference probably refers to the last four digits in the device MAC address. The MAC address is a device hardware address. All devices have a hardware address and it is commonly in HEX. OK, so i probably lost you there. HEX is base 16 numerical notation. Not sure that will help you but it is what it is. Anyway. Here is another approach you can take.

If you use your favorite laptop/PC it will be familiar to you so let’s start there. If you run windows open a terminal/console window and then use the command line to ping. The command is “ping” so if you use the command ping 192.168.12.255 you will send a ping to the broadcast address of your local network. All devices that are “active” should respond to that ping. This will populate the ARP table of your client PC. Then issue the command arp -a and you will have a listing that reports the IP address of each device and the MAC or hardware address. With this you can see the association between the two. Just think of the MAC address as your mailbox address and think of the IP address as your town address. Each device on the network has a unique MAC address so there should be one of them with the last four numbers of the MAC address as 2B00. Yes in HEX a “B” is a number in effect. After you have the listing of the ARP responses from all the other clients on the network you can go to each and look up the MAC address. It is associated with the network interface that has the IP address assigned to it. The ARP table could also list the host names which will make identification for some clients much easier and faster. 

If your clients are all MS Windows clients you can go to each one and open terminal and enter the command ipconfig /all to see the IP address and MAC address of the network interface they use. If you have a network printer it will also have the same MAC/IP address combination. With an Apple MAC you can use the terminal and use the command /sbin/ifconfig to list all the address information. 

I never stated it would be simple and easy mind you but it is possible. You can use the GUI interface of a specific operating system to dig out the MAC / hardware address but that too takes time. The T-Mobile routers do not provide advanced features that allow handling such things so we just have to do what we can.