Question

Will Latency Improve as the Service Matures?

• 19 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Obviously there is a limit to how good latency can be with a wireless signal like T-Mobile Home Internet is using, but I’m just wondering if it is expected to mature over time. I’m a big gamer and I’ve been tolerating the ping because my only other internet option has much better ping but a tiny fraction of the speed. Lately however, I don’t know if it’s the spring leaves coming back on the trees or what--it’s been getting noticeably worse. It used to be a consistent 80ms in Overwatch, my favorite title, but now its more like 105-120ms with spikes to 300ms. It’s making it very difficult and I’m questioning whether I can continue using the service.

I have the white box router Model: RTL 0102.

My signal is only “Good” but I haven’t found any place in my house where it can be improved further.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I would still them a call and see If they can fix this If not try calling your local consumer group and tell them about these problems your having.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello I just signed up for T-mobile home internet and got my silver 5g router a few days ago

honestly you guys are very lucky if your getting service at all during the day lol i cant even get a web page to load or a speed test from 8am-10pm then at night somehow it works ok but the ping is still very bad speeds are about 40mbps down and .5 mbps upload yea 50kbps upload...with 800 ping on fast the loaded ping is 3 seconds not even measured in ms straight up seconds lol

it seems like they are blocking any data from going through for 12-16 hours a day this is very consistent so far 

its also really hard to troubleshoot when you think your router is broken but its really the service blocking you i spent 20-30 hours moving this thing around reading everything resetting over and over just to realize t-mobile is stoping my data from going through

yesterday i bought a external router so i could shut off all the wifi connections on the grey t mobile router and just use the ethernet to a router with its own wifi and im not getting anymore sent errors so the wifi does seem to cause alot of issues on the t-mobile grey router-it still doesnt work during the day at all but does work better than using the wifi on the grey router-the t-mobile router constantly has sent errors not sure what this means but it seems to really effect web browsing  

sorry for the long reply lol just sharing what ive tried so far i also put a fan on the bottom...lol its cool to the touch now and does seem to hold a stronger connection-still no internet connection during the daytime thought

Userlevel 2
Badge

The tech I talked To said yes it will be improving over time this is a brand new service that is just rolling out me that they are adding more towers all the time. They said that give them time and patience things will get better. I read on YouTube that latency is all over the place but that’s to be expected and also adding a signal booster will help the tech said. 

I have the gray 5g one and the ms sucks for gaming even with it at 47 down 25 up I get 125 to 200 ms on all my games. T mobile fix this plz or at least do a update to its firm were to giver user more options like briged mode

Badge

I’m pretty new to the whole T-Mobile Home Internet thing, but no one else responded, so…
It sounds like you have the older 4G LTE gateway. Are you eligible to upgrade to the 5G gateway? 

I’m not sure how to check. I’ve also read about numerous issues on this form with the new gateway regarding lack of features and problems with services related to gaming. I’m not sure if they have been fixed yet?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would hope so. I’ve seen folks getting very high speeds (400+Mbps) with latency <20-30ms, but I don’t know of their distance to/from towers, saturation, capacity, tower upgrades, high-capacity, etc. 

Badge

I’m pretty new to the whole T-Mobile Home Internet thing, but no one else responded, so…
It sounds like you have the older 4G LTE gateway. Are you eligible to upgrade to the 5G gateway?