Question

YouTube doesn't work on home Internet

Userlevel 2
Badge

Anyone else have this problem and/or could offer any solution? 

When using WiFi with t-mobile home internet, YouTube on my phone, tablet, and wife's phone are barely usable. Nearly all videos stop after a few seconds and then the app just tries to buffer the video with the spinning arrow showing. No amount of waiting will restore the video. If i switch the phone to cellular data the video will start again. Related to this, YouTube smart downloads is continuously active. All of this happens only while using T-Mobile 5g home internet, not on our AT&T internet.

This never happens while using cell data connection on the phone (T-Mobile is not our cell carrier). It also doesn't happen with any other streaming device, Roku, computer, etc, or any other streaming service, Disney, prime, etc. 

Download speeds are extremely high. That's not the problem.

31 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, I went away for the weekend and when I returned, the problem has disappeared as it seems to have for others as well. I did contact YouTube last week and was given the same first-line advice on their end as well (restart router, update apps, etc). They said that their engineers couldn’t reproduce the problem, and basically offered no solution. However, this morning on my return, all seems to be working well with Youtube, Youtube Music and the Play store. I agree with others that this was probably resolved on the Tmobile engineering side. Hopefully, it does not return.

Badge

All these people complaining about not being able to stream YouTube are cute. I’m lucky if I can download an email. Home Internet absolutely sucks on T-Mobile and their tech support is worthless. A full 12 months with decent speeds (which for me was 20 mbs) and suddenly we’re lucky if we get 2 mbs and no one from T-Mobile can explain why. 

Has anyone found a solution to this besides running a VPN. I have t-mobile business internet and have the same problem with streaming services. I have called multiple times to support, and they keep on saying that they are not restricting speeds for streaming service. As soon as I run my VPN everything works fine so they have something on their network slowing down streaming speeds.

also try under settings, connections, change automatic to:

dns.google

shouldn’t have to do that, but it worked for us.  

Same here… workaround works if I connect my own Wi-Fi router on the Ethernet port or bypassed using VPN

I have escalated this issue.. T-Mobile assured me to escalate this issue to engineering team and get resolution by Monday

Also this issue is now with Tmoble mobile internet… huhhhhhgh!!!!!

Nice. Can you please tell us which VPN worked for you? 

also try under settings, connections, change automatic to:

dns.google

shouldn’t have to do that, but it worked for us.  

This is the answer here. I know this thread is 2 yrs old, but here in 2024 I was still having the same issues with youtube after setting up my new TMobile Home Internet. Download speeds were fast, but YT videos, especially YT Shorts, wouldn't load. Tried connecting an external router, didn't help. Tried the cloudfare DNS (1.1.1.1), that didn't work. Only the Google DNS works for some reason.