$10 surcharge for credit card payments

Badge

I just saw my first bill without autopay discount for credit card payment. My wife and I are retired and on a fixed income. This $10/month is meaningful to us. I worked in banking for nearly 40 yrs. It can only cost a merchant with T-mobile’s volume ~2% for credit card processing. That’s less than 2 bucks. We will be shopping alternatives. Shameful!

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Verizon only gives an autopay discount if use their credit card. Not sure about AT&T. All the MNVO’s will be cheaper but most don't have roaming agreements and limited customer service.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Don't forget to take the autopay option off. Then, go on paying your bill by your due date with your credit card. When you have autopay on, T-Mobile has your money for 2 days before your due date. Now they will not, and I will be paying with my credit card and in so doing, have another layer of security to help guard against additional security breaches. Plus, I will still have the cell phone insurance provided by my credit card. I went a step further and filed a complaint with the FCC. The FCC had T-Mobile call me. Though this may not get my discount back, they will find it costlier than they thought. They have had to dedicate resources for the FCC complaints since T-Mobile has had to contact me twice so far then get back to the FCC, they have lost 2 days of having my money, they don't like the damage to their image that this is costing them (no more uncarrier, just another money grabbing cell company),. And now, the spotlight is on all of their security breaches. The more FCC complaints are filed against T-Mobile, the more personnel they will need to handle them (and yes, it is the FCC, NOT the FTC). The $5 discount per line will soon be sounding like a great deal for them.

Badge

What would basis/process for filing FCC complaint?

Bummed about being forced to not use a credit card with T-Mobile. The credit card covered my insurance on 2 devices. Will T-Mobile now give me free replacement insurance on two iPhone 11s? Or is it another transfer of value from the customer to themselves?

Userlevel 2
Badge

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360001201223

Under billing:

Billing: Issues with your provider about advertised rates, service charges, taxes, fees, surcharges, lifeline, inmate calling.

I filed based on the above. This will start the ball rolling. Like I said before, I'm not foolish enough to think that based on my complaint I will get the $5/line back. But I'd like T-Mobile to feel the money grabbing effect this action will have in the long run. But every little bit hurts.

Userlevel 2
Badge

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360001201223

Under billing:

Billing: Issues with your provider about advertised rates, service charges, taxes, fees, surcharges, lifeline, inmate calling.

I filed based on the above. This will start the ball rolling. Like I said before, I'm not foolish enough to think that based on my complaint I will get the $5/line back. But I'd like T-Mobile to feel the money grabbing effect this action will have in the long run. And every little bit hurts.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It is not a surcharge or rate change.  You are forfeiting the Autopay discount.   

Userlevel 2
Badge

That's fine. You can call it what you like. But if I pay by credit card I have not forfeited anything. I will not give T-Mobile my bank account number in exchange for the $5 per line. The repeated security breaches to their systems has proven to me that they cannot be trusted with my banking info. Since I will not get the discount when I pay by credit card, then I will get off autopay and they will not get my payment payment 2 days earlier than my due date. I am only sharing what I have done and how I see things. To each his own.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

So what happens if you forget to make your payment on time and get hit with a reconnect charge? Is it going to be Tmobile’s fault for the late payment?

Personally, I'd rather have the piece of mind that the bill is going to be paid on time through autopay even if it's 2 day early.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Nope, a late payment and any penalties would be all on me. Frankly, T-Mobile was my only bill on autopay and solely because of the $5 discount per line and the level of security paying by credit card provides. I'm not sure if you're advocating linking your bank account for the discount or you are willing to lose the discount by continuing with autopay by credit card. I'm on a fixed income so the $5 discount/line was important to me but not important enough to risk my bank account. In addition, I am proud to say that I have always managed to pay my bills on time with no autopays except for T-Mobile. So, I'll just add T-Mobile to my monthly hour sit-down to pay my bills. That would be my piece of mind. Again, to each his own. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I started a post 4 months ago about this stating it was a terrible choice. After looking at the choices out there I knew I couldn't find an unlimited talk, text and data plan for 2 lines for $70. I just decided to get rid of my wearable line to cover the increase.

MNVO’s are not an option to me.

Just call it a rate increase and leave it at that! You obviously think I am too stupid to see through your plan. You knew beforehand that very few people were ready to hand you their banking coordinates. Heck I was already hesitant at handing you my credit card coordinates. I will just count this educational experience as having been s...ed by T-Mobile and will let all my friends and families know about your questionable practice. My immediate family counts sixteen adults. They will receive an email today advising them that, contrary to my prior recommendations, I wish they would not sign up with T-Mobile. T-Mobile thinks I am stupid.