Solved

2g shutdown free phone offer?

• 27 October 2023
  • 11 replies

Badge

Hi, I got an email that says I qualify for 2 totally free 5g phones (didn't say about bill credits or tax) to replace the old 2g phones that I use on my postpaid account, it said in fine print "offer only in store", I called 611 to confirm and the rep didn't  seem to know about it thinking it's for the trade-in with tax and Bill credits, 

So I went to the store (corporate), and after looking through my account they said I don't  have the segment on my account, and didn't know when or if I'll have it,

does anyone know how I can check about this segment?, I called 611 again and they still don't  know😞

I think it's called "network retirement totally free phone program"

icon

Best answer by fireguy_6364 27 October 2023, 20:25

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

“I think it's called "network retirement totally free phone program"

it is. thats what you need to tell them to look up.

its also mentioned over here in this thread along with a pic of what it said

Thank you for the letter. It does provide the context that I needed to know exactly what you are looking for. That letter is for our limited time Network Retirement offers. It can be super frustrating to have to redo steps, so I want to do my best to reduce some effort on your part. You will need to go back to the store (You can go to a different location if you want). Have them review the Network Retirement: Totally Free Phone Program. They have internal resources that they can review that shows them what to look for on your account and how to process the phone swap so there is not guesswork at all. 

I hope this helps! 

Badge

They looked it up but said the segment is not on my account, 

this is the email I received

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

actual TMO brick and mortor store or was it a 3rd party one? might be the difference youre seeing with them not being able to find it. look up the stores location and it should say which it is via the “find a store” top right of the page here. does it show that store as “T-Mobile store” or “T-Mobile authorized retailer”?

Badge

It's a T-mobile store: 750 W Hallandale Beach Blvd, Hallandale, FL 33009,

I told them it's called the "network retirement totally free phone program", they went in the back and few minutes later came out and said the 2G segment is not on any of my lines, and couldn't give me free phones unless I have the 2G segment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

what phones do you have currently?

Badge

One LG flip phone and one android smartphone both more than a few years old running on 2G since the 3G shutdown.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

but are either of them 4G phones? im guessing the LG flip is not but the Samsung phone possibly? if neither of them have VoLTE (Voice over LTE) then being 4G or not wont matter once the 2G is shut down.

at this point if you are able to try contacting TMO through either Facebook or Twitter and see if they can get the ball rolling for you. the FB/T route starts you with tier 2 support. they might be  able to either mark something on your account or fire something to that store info wise.

Badge

the LG flip is 3g/2g, the smartphone is 2g/3g/4g but NOT Volte, when they shutdown 3g it switched to 2g only,

I don't know why 611 don't  have a clue, and the rep I spoke with was supposed to leave notes for the store,

I read that those who got free phones received a letter in the mail, and they're mailed out in "waves" so maybe the email I got came before my letter will be sent and maybe that is when the segment gets on my account, I'm not sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah thats why both need replaced. if the one had VoLTE it would still be good..but the lack of it makes it no longer work for calls and texts.

im still leaning towards you contacting TMO through either Facebook or Twitter in hopes that they can fire something to your store

Badge

UPDATE:

I contacted T-FORCE on Twitter and they said I do have the segment on my account and they'll  leave notes for the store, 

So I went back to the same store and I got 2 totally free phones without: tax, trade in, bill credits or device connection charge, just like it said in the email offer🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

booyah. TMO Twitter for the win again.