Billed for a phone that was aupposed to be a free phone!!!

• 28 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

How many of you get promised by T-Mobile rubs that you were getting a free phone and then get charge for it on your bill? I was promised a free phone a year ago if I would add another line and every month I have been charged for the free phone. It’s so frustrating for dishonest sales people to say one thing and then your bill come out charging for a “free”device. Reps need to be held more accountable as we the customers have to end up paying the bills for their sales tactics!!! I call T-Mobile customer service and get nothing but you signed a contract as an excuse for being charged fir a phone we were told was free. And it does not take off the charge anywhere on the bill. I’m still paying monthly on a free phone that doesn’t even work well!!!

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

How many of you get promised by T-Mobile rubs that you were getting a free phone and then get charge for it on your bill? I was promised a free phone a year ago if I would add another line and every month I have been charged for the free phone. It’s so frustrating for dishonest sales people to say one thing and then your bill come out charging for a “free”device. Reps need to be held more accountable as we the customers have to end up paying the bills for their sales tactics!!! I call T-Mobile customer service and get nothing but you signed a contract as an excuse for being charged fir a phone we were told was free. And it does not take off the charge anywhere on the bill. I’m still paying monthly on a free phone that doesn’t even work well!!!

If T-Mobile isn't responding to you, file a complaint with the FCC. At the very least, this helps put you in touch with more "upper-management" within T-Mobile. If the FCC accepts your complaint, they will forward it to T-Mobile who must respond to you and address the complaint. No guarantees that your issue will be resolved, but at least it is worth a try. When enough customers demand change to unethical business practices, we can't be ignored as easily. Keep speaking out. 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

I have the same issue, i supposedly got a free samsung from signing with them and my bill is supposed to be $65 as month and it has been $80 and $90 a month. Going to pay this phone off and switch to Straight-talk. I have never had issues with Straight-talk and they have great service and the bill is the same every month.

I was told that with my trade ins that the 2 phones would be free.  After trying to resovle this issue for the last 9 months , I’ve been told…...our sales people gave you the wrong information…..so you now have to pay over $600.00 for these phones.   I’m sorry that you got the wrong information does not help pay the bills. We came from a sprint plan and I am sorry that we did.    As soon as I can afford to pay off these phones…...(becuase I have been given a final decission from t mobile that i have to)……..I will go elsewhere for my phone sevice.   I feel taken advantage of and thought I’d be on a great plan with the 55+.   The manager at the Lynwood, WA store made a mistake (didn’t lie, Ive been told)  So I have to pay for his mistake.  

Badge

I was told a free phone and free phone line and free paramont and free Netflix and that we would get a military discount and autopay discount as well but bill says $276 this month wich is an $80 increase from last month before the free things i just named off. I have called almost daily this entire month about it and nothing changed so far or very little anyway so i have looked at every bill since 2019 cause it will not allow me to go back further and every bill has an added line or an internet box that was mailed or another device spread over a two year period and for some reason when i changed the phone plan on this one account prom one of the plans to the one that offered a discount only 1 phone was switched and them two months later another couple phones and then now they are all finally switched  but also my phone that i have had since 2017 and only cost $105 when i paid cash for it now says i owe $135 for it. And looking threw the bills i have paid for it more then one time and no matter what i say or do the protection 360 that i keep removing still takes me to level 5 and only gets reduced to level 1 after i say something.i have made sure that there is only 2 authorized people who can do anything and some how people go in a store add a line or a device and do what they want. I thought it was the one store that i was having an issue with about asking for an ID making a copy and attaching it to the account and emailing it to me and calling to verify so the issue would stop. However its every store that does not even ask for verification and i know for a fact this to be true. I tested it and asked a store that is nowhere close to the main one we use for something and told them a number and said that i was told it would be free. They handed it to me and did not charge me but also did not ask for any 4 digit pin 6 digit passcode or ID they even sent a reciept to the account. Wich is good but so what? All that showed me is that if i know somebody’s number i can get anything i want from the store and TMobil will not charge me and if they want a money for it they will just add the amount to the phone number that you say and use the digital signature on file and spread it over equal payments of 24 months. A couple times aparently they mailed something somewhere as well.  I saw only 1 time that ID was provided and only 2 times a signature was provided not even on the same visit and the signatures are for the same person and are not the same as each other and are not by anyone who writes like that and whoever it was got an iPhone and a tablet that i caught two months afterwards and called about them. They removed them……. Well not really they said they did but this is the last month of paying on them. So i called again and they sent me a paper i have to take into the store it happened at that is 2555 miles away in order to do so. And look closely at your bills their is a note from the 10th of this month that bill is $276 but it is being reduced but $159 making the bill $196. A few days later another reduction of $17 was given making the bill $188. Um they do not know how to add or subtract the device section says $834 is owed on devices. Some of wich should not even be on the bill but i added the cost up and in total for all devices owed even the ones that should not be in there is not even $500. Ive got 6 pages of notebook paper back and front with questions about the bill and have called every other day about different things on the bill only for them to say its been escalated and its in the back office, give it 48 hours, one person  asked me how low I expected the bill to be and another one argued with me about the free paramont and one argued with me about the free phone line and phone and another one argued with me about the fact i was offered a free upgrade and never got one they have argued with me about what they advertise. Thank god screen shots are a thing. Plus the fact the stores do not ask for ID and i got told that they cannot be liable for the stores policies but since the begining they asked what security measures i wanted wich was ID a PIN number a passcode an email and a phone call until i answer giving them verbal permission for what exactly the person is trying to do yet that never happens they are and should be liable. 

Even though your comment seems to be long…I could “at least” double it’s length with all the lies, misinformation and OBFUSCATIONS which  T-Mobile and it’s employees has tricked me into saying that I owe them money! 
I was contemplating adding a line to get a free phone but found out it’s NOT REALLY FREE! Otherwise, how are they charging us for it regardless if a line was cancelled, etc.)? FREE IS FREE! And in my case, the salesman at the T-Mobile store was not listening to me! He was only tending to the idiot I was thinking of adding a line for until I got the feeling I wasn’t going to get paid for it. And it got to the point where I had to walk out of the store to contact T-Mobile by phone at which point confirmed my suspicions that the phone wasn’t actually going to be free. So, I was walking back to the  door the idiot was walking out f the store holding up the phone in his hand with a big grin on his face. I immediately said, WAIT! NO WAY! And he laughed and walked away! He Didnt even say thank you nor did he even pay me! Furiously, I go to open the door and he LOCKS IT AND SAYS WE’RE CLOSED! Did this guy get away with a free phone scott free? I NEVER EVEN SIGNED A THING! 

There’s A LOT MORE to the story!! But, longer story short….I canceled everything, no longer am a T-mobile customer and just got a huge bill for the phone!!! 

I was told that with my trade ins that the 2 phones would be free.  After trying to resovle this issue for the last 9 months , I’ve been told…...our sales people gave you the wrong information…..so you now have to pay over $600.00 for these phones.   I’m sorry that you got the wrong information does not help pay the bills. We came from a sprint plan and I am sorry that we did.    As soon as I can afford to pay off these phones…...(becuase I have been given a final decission from t mobile that i have to)……..I will go elsewhere for my phone sevice.   I feel taken advantage of and thought I’d be on a great plan with the 55+.   The manager at the Lynwood, WA store made a mistake (didn’t lie, Ive been told)  So I have to pay for his mistake.  

I had the same happen. File a complaint. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

I have filed and would like to file a law suit against them as well, as it appears I am not the only one who gets screwed over. 

Even though your comment seems to be long…I could “at least” double it’s length with all the lies, misinformation and OBFUSCATIONS which  T-Mobile and it’s employees has tricked me into saying that I owe them money! 
I was contemplating adding a line to get a free phone but found out it’s NOT REALLY FREE! Otherwise, how are they charging us for it regardless if a line was cancelled, etc.)? FREE IS FREE! And in my case, the salesman at the T-Mobile store was not listening to me! He was only tending to the idiot I was thinking of adding a line for until I got the feeling I wasn’t going to get paid for it. And it got to the point where I had to walk out of the store to contact T-Mobile by phone at which point confirmed my suspicions that the phone wasn’t actually going to be free. So, I was walking back to the  door the idiot was walking out f the store holding up the phone in his hand with a big grin on his face. I immediately said, WAIT! NO WAY! And he laughed and walked away! He Didnt even say thank you nor did he even pay me! Furiously, I go to open the door and he LOCKS IT AND SAYS WE’RE CLOSED! Did this guy get away with a free phone scott free? I NEVER EVEN SIGNED A THING! 

There’s A LOT MORE to the story!! But, longer story short….I canceled everything, no longer am a T-mobile customer and just got a huge bill for the phone!!! 

I had the same happen. File a complaint. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

I have filed and would like to file a law suit against them as well, as it appears I am not the only one who gets screwed over. 

IT IS A LIE! if is not in the written paperwork, it is not true.

PROMOTIONS to close the sale, and then sorry it does not apply! 

happened to me! went to Boynton Beach store on Hypoluxo and got my free phone. She gave me promotions and my bill was going to be incredible! I was happy. That night I signed up for the visa card and the promotion. The I was informed I did not qualify. I dialed 611 and they assured me that it was an error and they had corrected it my home internet would go down to $40.00 from $55.00.

When I got my bill more than 14 days later I see that nothing was true. She even raised my home internet to $65.00. Customer service kept supporting the lies till today I was told even the phone is not covered in the benefits. Who is stealing here? I will give you a free phone but it is not in writing…. NO PROMOTION IS IN WRITTING BEWARE! I am tuning off and if I need to pay the phone so be it! LIARS

Seems to me Apple should be aware that they are doing this with their products! FCC seem like a good option too!