Question

Change new sim card size

• 16 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

I changed to a new iphone which means I need to change my old big sim card to nano sim. The problem is that I am now in Hong Kong & wont be back to the states this couple months. Wonder if I can give authorization to my friend in the States to change a new nano sim card for me or not. pls advise. Thx.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

They would have to be a fully authorized user on the account.  I would recommend either just buying a SIM online from a third party retailer and have it shipped over to you.  When you receive it, you can call Customer Care to activate the new SIM instead of sending an active SIM overseas.  Some of the third party cellular shops can also cut the SIM to fit, as most are just extra plastic, if the SIM isn’t one that has the multiple sizes to push out.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you get a new SIM sent to you in Hong Kong, let us know if you are successful in getting it activated. Some people say that a new SIM has to be on T-Mobile’s network to activate. I don’t know if this is true or not, I’ve heard both ways.

Beware if you get your SIM cut down, it may not work. It all depends on how large the electronics are under the contacts.

Badge

I don't need T- mobile to send the new sim to Hong Kong. I just wonder if I can authorise my friend in the States to go to one of the T- mobile shop to change the new nano sim on my behalf. I can write an authorisation letter to my friend. After she picked up my new SIM card, she can activate for me at the shop. Then my friend can send me the SIM card to me by mail. I want to ask T- mobile if I can do that but T- mobile doesn’t have an email contact address that I can ask.  In their website, they only provide a address by mail or phone no. Since I am in Hong Kong, I don't  want to waste money in overseas call. Pls advise. Thx 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

OK. #1 You can call T-Mobile for free from your T-Mobile phone at +1-505-998-3793. Either cellular roaming or WiFi Calling. #2 Does your friend have access to your home address? (Can she pick up your mail?)  If so, you can order a new SIM be sent to your address of record, she picks it up. Notifies you of the SIM number, You do a “SIM Swap” online. She puts the SIM in her phone (Unlocked, T-Mobile or Verizon) Turns the phone on and tests it by making a call. Removes the SIM and expresses it to you as “business papers”. This avoids the whole “Power of Attorney” business.

However, I suggest you call the number above and try asking International Support first. You may get an offshore CS robot who is totally clueless and is just reading from a script. I don’t know. I understand much of T-Mobile’s CS has been offshored recently and really went down hill.

Badge

Hi drnewcomb,

Thx so much for your response & advise. Actually my T mobile account was registered under my friend’s address. It was a Pay as u go plan.  She doesn't mind to go to the shop & change the new nano  SIM card for me ( I can mail my old large size SIM card to my friend first if t- mobile need to get back my old SIM card in order to exchange  for the nano sim) I think I’ll call them ( the no you provided me) from HK for enquiry. You are so right that most likely I’ll just get a representative reading from the script but still no harm to try if it is a toll free call😊 Thx a lot. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I changed to a new iphone which means I need to change my old big sim card to nano sim. The problem is that I am now in Hong Kong & wont be back to the states this couple months. Wonder if I can give authorization to my friend in the States to change a new nano sim card for me or not. pls advise. Thx.

Just have a phone shop cut your SIM card to the proper size.  AT&T store did mine for free.

Or, buy a cheap SIM card cutter:

https://www.amazon.com/MMOBIEL-Universal-Standard-Cutter-Adapters/dp/B01MDNZ1PV

Badge

hi tomwil,

yes, I agree cutting the SIM card is the fastest way. However, I went to a few shops in Hong Kong but the people there was not willing to cut the card for me ( even I pay them the fee) They don't want to take the responsibility in case they damaged my card after cutting.  In that case, I m worry if  I can cut the card myself even the professional not willing to do it.  Thx so much for your reply. It's a smart idea though.