Question

CitiBank has locked my card because they can't verify my phone number

• 22 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I received a letter in the mail asking me to call in and verify my recent transactions, so I did and it got weird.

I was told that my card was locked down (can't be used and can't access the website) because the phone number I used can't be traced back to my name.

I've this same cell phone number few days ago which is a postpaid line with a CallerID pointing back to my name.

The rep on the phone told me that I needed to have a telephone number that can be traced back to me. This is very odd.

I asked her how can I pay my bill since I can't access the website and she told me I can't. I know I can push a payment through, but I didn't get into that with her.

Anyone ever had this problem... What's the solution?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if you have a postpaid account there shouldnt be any issues receiving short code for verifications.. im wondering if it looked at how old the account was and a flag was tossed up? if youre having issues receiving in short code contact TMO and either have them remove it from your line then re add it back on or just have them add it on if its not currently active on your account.

Badge

@fireguy_6364  All my lines have postpaid accounts, I’m able to to receive short codes from other apps but the issue is with Citibank, don't know what " service" Citibank is utilizing for checking phone numbers, but it’s a fail, they need to find a different method.

I asked TMO to double check if there’s any issue on number and it came back as no issues, no blocks.

As it is, I can't make a payment on a new account online, and they have locked me out and i’m going to default because Citibank's internal processes are screwed up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hmm this is a weird one for sure. I think I've this same cell phone number few days ago means that you may have changed your phone number recently. If so, you would want to see what Citibank’s process is for updating your phone number. If you have not changed your number, then you might want to ask them how else you can verify your identity and personal information. They usually have backup methods for situations just like this one. 

Since you are getting the messages from all other services, I am confident your T-Mobile service is working. You could check to make sure that you don’t have their short code number blocked in your message settings. 

Hope you are able to get it figured out with Citibank! 

Make an Account with Login.Gov and put your number in there and verify it with verification code and have them try it again after you do , I tried it when I was on the phone with a representative and she told me it didn’t and I added my new number and verified it and asked her to try it again and it worked for me … let me know if that fixes it for you too