Question

Data Breach

• 20 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Why do you keep having a data breaches? Why is it that you are not sending a email or text to your customers before we find out about them on the news? This is getting to be ridiculous.

2 replies

Badge +1

I saw that. As a new Tmobile customer, this and other issues have taken me aback. And while I am pleased with my monthly cellphone bill in comparison to the major provider I just left after more than 20 years, I am keeping a watchful eye on how things are going here. And they are not going well. I have been unable to shop for a new phone on the site for over 18 hours now due to the following message I get when I go to their main page and click Shop now:

{"code": "General-1004", "userMessage": "Gateway Timeout", "systemMessage": "Gateway Timeout", "detailLink": ""}

This is amateurish to the nth degree, and attempting to discuss the matter with csr’s who seem only able to communicate at a child’s level has left me stunned. 

These timeouts are not happening on any other site I go to, and seems confined here to the shopping for new phones. 

I received a text message last week from T-Mobile instructing me to change my autopay from a credit card to either a bank account or debit card. That change in payment method increases my risk should another data breach occur.

I understand T-Mobile asserts that it has fixed its cybersecurity deficiencies and that the past breaches did not compromise customers’ payment methods. But can I trust a company that is a two-time loser in the cybersecurity game? At what point does T-Mobile take accountability for its demonstrated incompetence at protecting my personal data? How could T-Mobile summons the nerve to ask me for more personal data that has even a greater risk to me when T-Mobile has a track record of cybersecurity failures?

I’m sorry if this sounds paranoid, but I’m insulted that T-Mobile has threatened to increase my monthly bill by $5 per line (total of $30 per month, $360 per year since I have 6 lines) if I don’t provide them additional banking information that is even riskier than the current credit card information I’ve already provided. I suspect I’m on T-Mobile’s list of disposable customers since my account is over eight years old and may not be as profitable as newer customers.

Has anyone in this community had luck in getting T-Mobile to understand that trust must be earned once it’s lost? Any recommendations on how I can better manage my relationship with T-Mobile? Changing carriers isn’t trivial, so I’d prefer to work this out. Curious if any of you have found a successful way forward?