Solved

debit card or bank account auto payment

Badge

Why do I need to update my account to a debit card or a bank account. I am under contract for 2 years and I can’t drop out of plan. I don’t know if T-Mobile can do that for contracted plan. Any thoughts ! Please share it.

icon

Best answer by gramps28 9 July 2023, 16:26

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You just need to update it if you're using a credit card and want to keep the autopay discount. Tmobile is requiring a debit card or bank account for the autopay discount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Why do I need to update my account to a debit card or a bank account. I am under contract for 2 years and I can’t drop out of plan. I don’t know if T-Mobile can do that for contracted plan. Any thoughts ! Please share it.

The EIP contract you signed allows for T-Mobile to change the terms of anything as they deem necessary.  That is also in your service agreement.  

If we can’t use our credit card anymore and receive the AUTOPAY discount, why should I make it convenyent for Tmobile to receive paymeent?  I’ll reverting to slow boat check by mail.😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If we can’t use our credit card anymore and receive the AUTOPAY discount, why should I make it convenyent for Tmobile to receive paymeent?  I’ll reverting to slow boat check by mail.😁

Better hope it arrives on time so you're account doesn't get suspended. USPS is even letting customers know not to pay bills by mail.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/u-s-postal-service-warning-checks-mail/

This is according to the US Law:

(a) General rule. Section 7502 provides that, if the requirements of that section are met, a document or payment is deemed to be filed or paid on the date of the postmark stamped on the envelope or other appropriate wrapper (envelope) in which the document or payment was mailed.

And the Big One is:

113th CONGRESS
2d Session

H. R. 3909

To amend title 39, United States Code, to provide that the payment of a bill, invoice, or statement of account due, if made by mail, shall be considered to have been made on the date as of which the envelope which is used to transmit such payment is postmarked.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 16, 2014

Mr. Cohen introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform

A BILL

To amend title 39, United States Code, to provide that the payment of a bill, invoice, or statement of account due, if made by mail, shall be considered to have been made on the date as of which the envelope which is used to transmit such payment is postmarked.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “Postmark Payment Act of 2014”.

SEC. 2. DATE OF POSTMARK TO BE TREATED AS DATE OF PAYMENT OF A BILL, INVOICE, OR STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT DUE.

(a) In General.—Chapter 26 of title 39, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

“§ 2606. Date of postmark to be treated as date of payment of a bill, invoice, or statement of account due

“(a) If any payment required to be made on or before a prescribed date is, after such date, delivered by the Postal Service to the payee, such payment shall be deemed received by the payee on the date of the United States postmark stamped on the envelope or other cover in which such payment is mailed.

“(b) Subsection (a) shall not apply with respect to any payment—

“(1) other than a payment on a bill, invoice, or statement of account due;

“(2) which is required, by law, regulation, or contract, to be delivered by any method other than by mail; or

“(3) which is subject to any other provision of Federal law specifying how a postmark date shall be used in determining the date on which such payment shall be deemed to have been delivered or made.

“(c) Subsection (a) shall apply only if—

“(1) the postmark date falls on or before the prescribed date for making the payment; and

“(2) the payment was, on or before such date, deposited in the mail in the United States in an envelope or under other appropriate cover, postage prepaid, properly addressed to the payee.

“(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply in the case of a postmark not made by the Postal Service.

“(e) For purposes of this section—

“(1) the term ‘payee’, as used with respect to a payment, includes any person duly authorized to receive such payment; and

“(2) the term ‘United States’ means the 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and any territory or possession of the United States.

“(f) Regulations to carry out this section may be prescribed by the Postal Service.”.

(b) Conforming Amendment.—The table of sections for chapter 26 of title 39, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

“2606. Date of postmark to be treated as date of payment of a bill, invoice, or statement of account due.”.

SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.

The amendments made by this Act shall apply with respect to any mailing postmarked after the end of the 3-month period beginning on the date of enactment of this Act.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

and since you are sending it in snail mail what do you think the odds are of it NOT making it due to any possible issue on their end? now would that make that payment being late their responsibility or yours?

if you said “yours” then you are correct..

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The Autopay discount is just that; a discount from your contracted plan price.  You can keep paying with a credit card, you just will not get the discount.

T-Mobile is forcing customers with AutoPay to choose one of the following options:

1. Quit AutoPay, and pay T-Mobile another $5/month for each line.
  2. Keep AutoPay by linking to a debit card. This carries the risk of getting hit with fraudulent charges if (when?) T-Mobile is hacked again, although you can limit debit care fraud losses to $50 by keeping close tabs on debit card charges and immediately reporting any fraudulent activity.
  3. Keep AutoPay by linking to a checking account. (This carries the risk of having the account drained if/when T-Mobile is hacked again. Fraud protection for a checking account is stronger than for a debit card. If you’re able to establish a no-fee checking account with a very low balance requirement that you use solely for T-Mobile AutoPay purposes, and you keep close tabs on activity in the account, you’d probably be able to avoid any loss if the account was compromised. 
  4. Switch from T-Mobile to another carrier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You  forgot, keep it on your credit card and lose discount.

Also Tmobile is going to start charging customers $5 to pay their bill in a store.

I NEED a way to complain that my good credit rating (834) is not being used to my benefit at T-Mobile. T-Mobile wants me to link my auto pay to my bank account instead continuing to use the credit card I've been using for years. WHY? I'm not security risk, nor a financial risk for T-Mobile, but T-Mobile potentially being hacked and my bank account being exposed is a significant risk, as it is with ALL companies. As a result, I DO NOT WANT to share my bank info with T-Mobile. This is a horrible new policy!!!

Fact:  The sales flyer that got me to sign up states “2 Unlimited Lines $27.50 per line with Auto Pay + Tax”

Fact:  I have 10 months that state “Regular Charges $55.00” no mention regarding AutoPay

Fact:  I now have my latest invoice that states “Regular Charges $65.00 that’s a 15% increase

Fact: My Price Lock  document states “The Price Lock protection applies as long as the qualified plan is not removed”
Looks to me like T-Mobil has breached the contract?

I’ll wait for the class action dudes to arrive.

Pete

San Diego, CA

I cannot in good conscience give my bank account or debit card information to a company that has had 9 data breaches in the past 5 years including two so far in 2023, so I guess I’ll have to give them another $15 a month instead 😡