Defunct advice on today's T-Mobile Data Breach page?

• 19 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Is anyone able to actually sign up for “Account Takeover Protection”? Today’s data breach page suggests that postpaid customers can enable “Account Takeover Protection” to prevent unauthorized phone number porting:

The “See how” link goes to “Account Takeover Protection by T-Mobile” which has a button at the bottom to “Add Account Takeover Protection”:

That button unfortunately goes to a page that says “This feature is no longer available.”

Did they seriously not review this when setting up that data breach page?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I did it from the link in the article. They asked for your phone number and email address and McAffee would send me an email within 24-48 hours.

I did it from the link in the article. They asked for your phone number and email address and McAffee would send me an email within 24-48 hours.

Yeah, that’s where I am with the credit monitoring through McAffee - The above is regarding the “Protect your account” section right below the McAffee bit.

It’s crazy that I heard about this breach on the news. No information or warning from T-Mobile. Nothing on my home dashboard page. I had to Google T-Mobile data breach to even find the web page you are talking about.

Of course calling 611 is currently a 2+ hour wait time. Providing McAffee doesn’t really to squat if the people hacking you already have your personal information. So I give them an F for how they are handling this issue.

JMM42,

I understand your Account Takeover Protection issue. Since I have a Sprint account, I'm getting caught in a loop trying to access the information and sign up online. The info and sign up page is on Tmobile's site but one has to login WITH A TMOBILE ACCOUNT to access it. I called Tmobile customer service but didn't put my number in. They called me back within 2 hours. Here's what I got: 1) Tmobile cannot view Sprint accounts because they are still in a different database and 2) since I want to have access to Tmobile customer service instead of Sprint, I can go into a Tmobile store to migrate my account to Tmobile. It occurs to me that migration WILL change my plan, and instead of having access to both Sprint and Tmobile towers it MAY limit me to only Tmobile towers. That doesn't resolve the web site problem though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I just used the link to add my wife and me with the account takeoverprotection using the link provided with no problem.