Question

DIGITS + Chat Messages (Google Messages)

• 9 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have been trying out Google Messages on my phone and using the RCS features. But it appears that as soon as I enable RCS I lose the ability to get messages via Digits for anyone who is also on RCS. Should this work or should I go back to using the stock Messaging app on my OnePlus device so that I can receive messages again via Digits? I have a work phone that I use Digits on all the time and keep missing important messages because of RCS.

7 replies

Have almost similar situation and have been searching for months for an answer or clarify on what's supported. 

T-Mobile, please turn on RCS for Digits!

Also, why do you limit the history in Digits to the last 7 days on a new phone.

It should be at least the last 30 days!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

RCS runs through Google servers, and not through T-Mobile.  So Digits will not work with RCS.  Now with the S22 series(only device atm) Google has changed the target server to T-Mobile RCS servers.  Google has to update the app itself for it to target T-Mobile RCS servers then it becomes possible.  

Interesting.

Are you saying that currently, if I use an S22 with RCS turned on, I will still see all my text messages on Digits?

Although I think Samsung makes great phones, I prefer the pictures taken by the Pixel phones I use.

Also, I can’t stand having to update apps in the Play Store and on the Samsung store to keep everything up to date.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Interesting.

Are you saying that currently, if I use an S22 with RCS turned on, I will still see all my text messages on Digits?

Although I think Samsung makes great phones, I prefer the pictures taken by the Pixel phones I use.

Also, I can’t stand having to update apps in the Play Store and on the Samsung store to keep everything up to date.

Yes it seems to works.  I just logged into Digits in the first time in a LONG time and I see recent messages in there.  RCS and Digits are supposed to be one in the same from what I understood.  Here is Google saying what is going on with the S22 on T-Mobile.

GS22 devices will run off of T-Mobile's proprietary RCS backend, and upon initial setup, users may experience a delay as data is migrated from Google's RCS backend to T-Mobile's.  To accelerate setup, please:

1) Enter your phone number at https://messages.google.com/disable-chat

2) Open the Messages app, go into Messages settings, then Chat features, and toggle on Enable chat features.

Best,

Pravalika “

To me pixels photos are overrated :P I have had all the pixels except the first one.  

I auto update and don’t bother going opening the stores to update anything. I only open them to purchase something or download new apps I want to try.

At some people Google will probably make detection sim based in their app and point to the correct carrier server or something.  They could probably make it based on carrier partition files.  Until then anything other than the S22 will probably not work with Android Messages with digits.

Honestly I don’t use digits as I use a Windows computer and use Link to Windows as I am generally always in front of a computer and I have free access to what I want to do here.

Badge

Any update on fixing this support for all phones? I rely on DIGITS to get messages on my work phone and with Apple moving to RCS I don't want to be the only one stuck on SMS/MMS. 

Would love to know if there is a way for other phones to switch to t-mobile’s in house RCS service!