Question

Hotspot return after cancelling hotspot line

• 9 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I cancelled my hotspot due to lack of coverage where needed.  During the cancellation I was told I did not need to return the hotspot. I was also told my account was closed with a zero balance after I made payments for the month I had the device. This was also confirmed at a T-mobile store as I tried to just return the device I no longer needed in person.  At the store they said my account was closed, my balance was zero, and they did not want the device suggesting I keep it. 

A month later I received a $322 bill for the device.  I called customer service again, they told me they would suspend the charge but told me now that I needed to return the device.  They said they would email me a return label for the device.  The label never arrived but a notice from a collections department arrived instead.  I disputed the charge with the collections, called customer service again.  After speaking to 2 agents they again told me a label would be sent.  No label ever arrived.

I have now probably spent at least 4 hours on hold and on the phone with at more than 6 different customer service representatives from T-mobile.  The mifi unit return label has still not been received and I am concerned they would prefer to send me to collections than do what they promise to do.

Has anybody ever sued T-mobile successfully in small claims court?

3 replies

Hi,

I cancelled my hotspot due to lack of coverage where needed.  During the cancellation I was told I did not need to return the hotspot. I was also told my account was closed with a zero balance after I made payments for the month I had the device. This was also confirmed at a T-mobile store as I tried to just return the device I no longer needed in person.  At the store they said my account was closed, my balance was zero, and they did not want the device suggesting I keep it. 

A month later I received a $322 bill for the device.  I called customer service again, they told me they would suspend the charge but told me now that I needed to return the device.  They said they would email me a return label for the device.  The label never arrived but a notice from a collections department arrived instead.  I disputed the charge with the collections, called customer service again.  After speaking to 2 agents they again told me a label would be sent.  No label ever arrived.

I have now probably spent at least 4 hours on hold and on the phone with at more than 6 different customer service representatives from T-mobile.  The mifi unit return label has still not been received and I am concerned they would prefer to send me to collections than do what they promise to do.

Has anybody ever sued T-mobile successfully in small claims court?

AAll too seriously Have a feeling that during the employee training time. or in the employee training book, they literally tell them, do what you can to screw over your customers. I. had gone in. to a storefront. And got set up with a hot spot plan. and it was pretty cool. at first because I was looking for more than Four or five gigs to add to my phone. I needed more bandwidth, so I needed an actual lock spot. And they still only wanted to sell me like 10 gigs per month. for an egregious price of, I don't remember what it was. I think they wanted like 70 Bucks a month. to make the hot spot payment and so on. But yeah, about 70 Bucks a month. And I was like, no, I'm out, dude. II can. I know I can find a better deal than that. So they stopped me and kept me in the store and got my money by taking the absolute most that they could offer me previously was. it was like 20 gigs a month or something like that. And it was still going to be like 50 bucks. And I. said, look, I don't know like if you guys are used to doing this or not but there's no way that you sell this stuff all the time. It's like because there's no way anybody would pay for this. So I got them down to $47 a month for 50 gigs, which they don't even offer a plan for or didn't anyway, unless you had a home service and now you can get that for less than I was paying. But anyway, I paid for the hot spot outright which was with tax. because I was getting that particular one with new service and so on and so on. It was like 200 I think. like $20 for the hot spot and I paid 1 82 for the hot spot because I paid for it outright and everything. And and instead of. pay instead of paying like 70 like about $78 a month for like nothing in the hot spot data I ended up getting that down to like $46 a month for 50 gigs. and at that price I decided it would be a good idea to pay for six months in advance. Well here's here's the kicker. This is what they did. So they did everything and they did the first month right they charged me for the 1st month at a regular price and all the **** and the price of the hot spot. taxes and everything included it was like 200 and like eighty something dollars in the beginning for like just the one month in the hot spot paid up front with all the taxes and crap and then after I worked a better price I go OK well I want to pay for 6 months. so I gave him a credit card and I they took six months at the new rate off and I questioned them and said that 7 months and they said no Sir it's 6 and I said no you put hard to be full price for the first month and then. when I asked said I wanted 6 you charged me for six more at the new rate. I think what you should do is is. fix the price I paid on the first month and take the 6th 7th month off of that credit card that's not what I wanted. So in the end I paid for seven months in advance hot spot paid for it. So at about 30. 4th month I get a notice saying that. that my bill is passed due right and the only reason that I know that no the 5th month and the only reason that I know that they believe that my bill is passed due is because all of a sudden I lost Internet I couldn't figure out how to get the hot spot to work. I went through everything I called them on the phone customer service and they're like well we don't know why you're not getting hot spot data. You know what I'm saying blah blah blah right and I go Oh well yeah technical didn't know nothing so II went to customer service instead of like technical service and they're like oh yeah we shut that **** off you know. what I'm saying you were your past due more than a week so we shut that off so that you you pay and I go that's **** crazy because I paid for this amount of time in advance that means I've still got this many months left before I even got to pay a bill but now you're saying it's passed due you've interrupted my service and now you're going to charge me a fee to turn it back on plus plus what this month's bill. and I was like how does that work and they're like Oh well we don't we don't set the procedure sir this is just the way it works if you want it back on you're gonna have to pay it because that's the only way that our system our T mobile system that's the only way without getting a much higher authorization to do so to get it turned on now that's what you have to do and he says well we can just credit it back to your bill if it turns out that you're right and I said well I know that I'm right I shouldn't have to pay it at all. I was like and you're going to charge me in a late payment fee and an activation fee. I was like so you're getting my bill plus another another like 25 bucks I said that's crazy. so once again I should still have two months left of paid for service the next time the bill comes due and mind you I've paid this after. it's about the middle of the month So there's two weeks and then the bill is coming due again. But it's paid but nevertheless about halfway through the first week about four days of past bill date my **** Wi-Fi goes off again. and oh and they don't roll over the data so every time every time I would go over it they charged me for it so they didn't ask me if I was willing to pay for it. You know what I'm saying they shut me off when they when when my bill wasn't paid but they'll let me rack up a bill. Let me you know increase the bill with Wi-fi because it don't cost them **** But anyway so I'm **** with them the modem again and I'm like **** **** dude. Something's **** wrong with this thing. So I called him. I said hey, what can I do about this this modem? I'm pretty sure that there's something wrong with it and they're like, well, how do you know that? And I said cause it's not working. It's like it's on, but it's I'm not getting any data. They're like, Oh yeah, yeah. It's because we shut it off. Your your bills passed due again. And I said what the **** are you out of your mind? I was like, I was just on the phone with somebody like almost an hour over this 23 weeks ago Oh well, I'm sorry, Sir. I don't know anything about that. I'm just calling you about the gear. Just I'm just here to be on the phone with you now. So at this point, they want. me to pay another like something something dollars to reactivate it. So now at this I would have paid basically for a little over an extra entire month in late fees. And an extra month in service fees. And then they want to be pay one more. So I would have paid 2 extra 3 extra months at this point. So it should be like four months out. But no no. I told him I said, well, yeah, I don't. I don't have the money to pay it. And I was like, because it's supposed to be paid for. I did. But I did. I wasn't going to give him any. So I told him I said, I'll pay the activation fee. You know what I'm saying? But I expect to get all of this back. And I got the the ticket numbers and everything for the interactions. So this time I'm waiting for it, waiting for the bill to go wrong, right? So, so this time. in mind you, I told him. I said you're supposed to be taken the money out of my bank account So you know when when it comes due. And I had mentioned this and I said so I was like I don't see how if it didn't have any money still in my balance at the store why didn't you just automatically bill me Oh well because it's not set up for that what? no no you're just you've got you've got online paper list which is basically like we send you a bill in your email right and I was like oh so it's paperless billing it's not like automatic billing is not auto pay and I was like so pain in advance you guys you guys said I remember they told me oh we'll give you the auto pay price and all that stuff for paying in advance and then the manager was able to get me a little bit more off of my monthly you know price because I paid so much in advance and I got him to agree it's in my contract to continue that that that bonus priced from the beginning if I just keep paying it right. cool so here we are right about halfway through the 6th month right I haven't paid to turn my my phone back on. I mean my my hot spot it all like so like the the last month instead of paying a fee to get them to turn it back on or anything like that I go well technically I've still got you know like three months paid for so you know I'm just going to wait until. I got the money to throw it the activation fee and see what we can do right just just just so that I don't have to argue with him it's going to go into the storefront take care of it and then around 6 months comes by and and I call him up and I go hey. you guys just **** tried to bill me like. 300 something dollars on my credit card and I don't know I don't know what the **** you guys are thinking but what's going on there like Oh well yeah you you don't actually have service with us anymore your service has been terminated and then go what they go yeah unless you pay the the the the two months that you didn't pay right and activation fee and then a late fee right and then what is it and then it was a poor poor poor. something it's some **** **** about not you know maintaining good payment **** history or some **** another fee so they wanted like. a whole bunch of money right and they wanted two months of back **** service and the month that I was going so they wanted three months of service paid which it should have gone three months out from there but they want to be given three more months and then basically another 2 months worth of fees and fines and stuff like that for not doing my **** right I guess and they said because my my serve. my service had lapsed and they discontinued they dropped my account or they they had to be renewed or restarted or whatever that the hot spot that I was paying for right cause it's paid for I own it mind you that's why I got the little bit better one I was like if I'm going to you know I might as well just buy it had money at the time. and they're like yeah and and you haven't made a payment on your hot spot since since you started your plan I said what the **** are you talking about yard your **** **** mind said I paid for this **** thing just no no you made you made one payment on it so you still owe us A100 and like $60 plus late fees on that and so and so and so they wanted like 200 and like so basically to get my service back on I had to pay for the hot spot because I would either have to lease a new one from them right cause they weren't going to let me activate the one I had but they weren't going to take it back either. They didn't want it. They wouldn't take it back. I said all right cool. I don't need it anyway so you just have the **** back and you can give me my money back no no we don't want it and even if even if we did have your money we wouldn't be able to give it back to you. It's not within the policy to refund your money on on something that we don't want and I go what? What do you mean something we don't want customer service I'm right I don't need it. It's brand new still got all the little plastic **** on it. Oh yeah. Well, we don't. Yeah, it's it's useless to us if it goes especially because we're literally within months of changing the model. So anyone who gets one is probably going to get a cheap 1 unless they insist on getting something better in the meantime because the new like primary model of like 5G personal hotspot is coming out soon and and it's going to be like cheaper than the one you bought and**** free upgrades and all this and I was like So what you're telling me is that I paid for this and you. put it on my bill to charge me again for it. And now you're going to charge me because I didn't pay for the charges that I wasn't aware of because I had already paid all that **** up front and I was like so you guys are literally **** me with a bunch of wet seems like to me. like bait and switch like just straight robbery like this store owner has figured out how to **** just rob people because it's their word against mine you know what I'm saying so in the end I left it hang I was like yeah I was like you guys are you guys and go **** **** up a rope and I was like I'm not paying you any of that money but they still ended up getting a collections company to purchase some of it. I think it's like 200 and something dollars that they ended up because they wanted me to give them almost 400 bucks just to turn my **** phone back on for like that's almost what I paid for everything in the beginning. So they were like going to try and triple charge me for everything. just to be able to. continue paying them So yeah they they sent that to collections and I don't get it. You know I paid for everything up front. I even paid in when they either didn't know or wouldn't acknowledge the fact that I had done so and they were wrong but I just kept giving them money and they just and then when I stopped paying them they turned the bill in not even the bill that they told me that I owe just some of it and what they the charge list for the **** that they got paid for it doesn't make any sense either. But anyway so yeah they got extra money out of me extra sweat and tears and all I did was try and be a good customer and pay all my stuff in advance because I knew that at some point before that 6 months was up I was going to need the extra cash in my pocket low. and behold what happened right at the time where I had needed those extra you know 30 and 40 bucks here and there and they were there to take it from me somehow just goes to show they don't care about you or that you don't know that they're listening to you on your phone because that's I swear dude that's literally the only way any of this could happen because it was it was too perfect like when my wife I would go off and you know because one time it was literally I had I had to spend some money on something I really wanted to spend any money on and I had been having a conversation with somebody about how it's good that things are going good you know because this is a bad money time for me and I happen to have a little bit of extra cash so that I can cover this issue and it was literally within like 48 hours or so that I had got sidewinded with that and the only way to protect my income at that point was to have that wifi So I fed into it and then they did it again and they were going to keep doing it I think so I think it was about that pup T mobile. Hey in the crazy part is is I've still got a phone account right now. it's it's not even my account technically but they let me log into it. because I mean it used to be my account but it's not anymore but it's they still let me get into it and you know look at my data plan and all that stuff you know because now my phone was paid for for quite a considerable this amount of time in advance so there's nothing that you can do about it but it's weird cause they always tend to remind me they're like yo you're not the primary person on this account you can't you can't do things and change things and I was like I was the one who told you guys that in the 1st place. because while I was trying to pay for my hotspot giving you my name the phone number I registered my hot spot with everything that pertains to the hot spot and you guys keep asking me for the phone number the phone number. What's your phone number? OK, what? What number do you give them? Anyone when they ask you for your phone number? The one you opened the account with. Oh, okay, yeah. Cool. My cell phone number, right? Nope. Wrong answer. They want the phone number off of the hot spot, which only provides wifi. So, but then they didn't think to tell me this, right? So literally, for like, an entire, like three or 4 hours, I'm trying to figure this out. I'm typing in numbers here and there. I'm like, hey, you know, what's going on? I'm calling the account, my account primary and everything, and talk with him like, hey, something about something I was like, I got this issue going on with my hotspot, and I was like, but I was like, I. was like, I had to pay, like, almost 300 bucks. on my phone bill to you know, to get my account so that I could talk to them about my hotspot. And he goes, he goes, oh, what? He goes, he goes, yeah, they they sent me a text message about that and he goes cuz I was going to pay all the phone stuff. tomorrow. And he was. But I got a text today about it that it was a zero balance and I wasn't even going to pay all of it. And that's so. And I was like, you should be getting that money back. And I was like, oh, cool. And I was like, because when I told them that I thought that that was for the hot spot, what I needed to pay for the hot spot. they were like, oh, yeah, yeah, that's that's it. That's it. That's the amount they just told me it was the amount and it was like half of that. So I ended up paying twice, you know, towards it a phone bill is my phone. But anyway, on another account, and they're just like, so they let me log into another account simply because I had the phone number. and I knew who the primary account holder's name was. They just **** let me into the account. I could have ran up the phone bill. All that **** They didn't. They didn't two factor authenticate me or nothing. They didn't even talk to nobody until I was, like, in the website. Had paid the bill. You know what I'm saying? All that **** So, yeah, they didn't even care. And I brought that up to him too. And I was like, yeah, you guys let me pay like, like, almost $300 bill to pay A, like, a $40 activation fee on a hot spot. And then after I did that, you told me, Oh, well, that's, I don't, I don't know what you're talking about. You still owe the money because it's on the account we're looking at it. I don't know whose account you paid off, but it's not yours. And I said, what the **** are you talking about? And I was like, have we not been talking about my account this whole time? They're like, yeah, we're talking about your account, but the, but the account you're talking about isn't your account. I was like, yeah, it's got my name on it. It's got my phone number on it It's got to be my account. Doesn't have my hotspot on it, though I can't **** pay for my hotspot. So I'm trying to figure that out. They're like, yeah, we're looking at it right here. It's fine. So, yeah, they're, they're out there, literally, openly **** all of this, especially T mobile. Sorry, I had to go on about that, but it's so weird, and somebody's going through the exact same thing, and you really can't get the depth of how people try and **** other people, unless you get some real good detail. So details yours. Enjoy.

Badge

Your chances of getting into court is slim.  i hade a dispute with AT&T (T-Mobile parent company) attorneys would not touch the case AT&T were to big.  The very best of luck, and keep an eye on your credit report! 

Same story for me trying to return MI-FI device.  Have badge numbers for 3 Customer Care Agents who all promised I would receive an email with the return label within 24 hours. Never received a email from any of them, They are all reading from the same script.  Local T-Mobile tells me I HAVE TO CALL Customer Care,  Had Verizon phones for 20 years and only switched to TMobile in order to get the mobile hot spot which came no where near close to meeting my needs,  Can’t wait to switch back to Verizon