HOW DOES 30 PLUS YEARS MEMBERS GET A DEAL ON A NEW IPHONE???

• 17 December 2022
  • 10 replies

Badge

WE HAVE BEEN WITH TMOBILE WHEN THEY CAME TO DENVER IN 1991, I HAVE YET TO GET A GREAT DEAL ON A NEW IPHONE, ALWAYS SEE ON TV ALL THESE GREAT DEALS THEY GIVE NEW SUBSCRIBERS, BUT WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN WITH TMOBILE 30 YEARS, WHEN TO SAMS CLUB THE OTHER DAY AND AT&T IS WANTING TO GIVE US TWO NEW IPHONES 14 FOR FREE, MAYBE SAYING GOODBYE TO TMOBILE AFTER 30 YEARS

10 replies

Badge

GUESS WERE PAYING FOR NEW SUBSCRIBERS IPHONES, WHILE WE HAVE TO PAY

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I pay $60 a month for 2 lines of unlimited talk, text and data so for me it's not worth switching carriers  for a free phone. I like my plan more than a free phone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

2 years later you’ll be like everyone else.  Switch again and keep doing so.  One good thing about T-Mobile is you have the service you can keep your legacy plans and at times it’ll save you more in a year than a free phone would.  There’s always a catch most people never fully look into.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have a Pixel 6 and a 7 on EIP and my monthly bill is a little over $100. I'm sure if I switched to another carrier my plan would be more than that.

Badge

IM A SENIOR AND A VETERAN, STILL NO UPGRADE

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What is your plan? I'm on a 55+One plus plan for $60 a month and a free phone is not worth changing my plan to get a free phone.

Badge

Were on the Magenta Max Military plan which is great, but we still owe $400 on our two phones, I can pay that off tomorrow and we can sell our two phones for $700 to $1000 and  get two free I-phones 14 Maxs for free from AT&T with there military discount witch is less then T-Mobile , its a win win, if I able to live more years its all good. we enjoyed T-MOBILE for 30 years hopefully we can enjoy AT&T for 30 years 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Were on the Magenta Max Military plan which is great, but we still owe $400 on our two phones, I can pay that off tomorrow and we can sell our two phones for $700 to $1000 and  get two free I-phones 14 Maxs for free from AT&T with there military discount witch is less then T-Mobile , its a win win, if I able to live more years its all good. we enjoyed T-MOBILE for 30 years hopefully we can enjoy AT&T for 30 years 

The At&t promotion requires that you trade in your old phone for each new phone and will lock you in for 24 months by spreading out your trade in credits over that time. TMO offers the same type of promotional trade in. Have you called TMO to ask? Since you are on Magenta Max you are eligible for their latest promotions. Not all of their promotions are posted on their website. Back in Oct this year, I got $730 trade in credit for an iPhone X when I upgraded to a 13 mini so it was “almost free”. I got an upfront $90 credit plus $640 spread out over 24 months. I’ve been a TMO customer for about 10 yrs and I’m on a legacy plan too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

ok, after a couple direct messages asking “how”, it’s better to share with the community.

Let me give the most complicated example of TMO promotional trade in for existing customers. First as I mentioned before I am on a legacy plan call “Tmobile Amplified Now” which is One Plus but also has a corp discount. This is the plan I signed up when I first became a customer about 10 years ago. I pay $180 for 6 lines which is the maximum number of lines I’m allowed.

The summary of my personal experience - I never get any promotional emails or texts from TMO. I only see promotion from TV or web adds from TMO that are targeted to new subscribers. Whenever I see something that I want from those generic adds I simply call and ask if I qualify. I have yet to be denied. If you never ask, you will not get promotional discounts.

First let’s talk new benefits that come with new plans

Every time a new plan came out with a feature I wanted like Netflix, I would either automatically see it added to my legacy plan or I would call TMO support and ask if I was eligible for the benefit without changing plans and I would get that feature added at no charge. I can’t remember ever being told I wasn’t eligible but I only paid attention to the benefits that I cared about. So today, I have the following features added to my plan without ever having to change my plan or paying a penny more:

• Netflix (Same as Magenta Max)
  • 5 GB 5G Hot Spot per month (same as Magenta)
  • Gogo Air free text data (same as Magenta Max)
  • 5 GB high speed international data and text (same as Magenta Max)
  • $20 per month discount on TMO Home Internet (same as Magenta Max)
  • Random benefit - I signed up for TVision streaming TV but TMO discontinued the service and gave me $10 per month discount for life on Youtube TV.

I would pay $230 per month if I were to sign up as a new customer for same features (Magenta Max). My TMO savings for my plan is worth $600 per year (plus $120 for Youtube TV). No other carrier even comes close to this plan.

Next let’s talk promotional trade In (aka Free Upgrade)

Every time I’ve called to ask, I always received a promotional trade ever since TMO started offering - again without having to change my plan. Here is an example of a very complex promotion on one of my lines:

My net charge per month for this iPhone 14 Pro is $7.62. But note there are two promotional credits. Here is why:

• I initially traded in an iPhone 12 Pro (purchased outright from Apple) for an iPhone 13 Pro ($1100 MSRP) about 18 months ago. I got $1000 trade in credits - $485 as a one time credit and $515 in the form of monthly credits over 30 months. You can see this as the “T711 2021 Apple Trade P16 promotion” first line at $17.17 credit per month. My net price was $100 plus tax on $1100.
  • About 16 months after owning the iPhone 13 Pro, I wanted the iPhone 14 Pro so I called and asked what TMO could do for trade in promotion. On a side note, I was in Peru at the time and called the international toll free number and my 20 min call was free.
  • I still had a balance since I was only 16 months into the the 30 month term, I had to pay the balance off before upgrading to the 14 Pro,  but as you can see my monthly credits from the 12 Pro trade in are still continuing for the last 2 months with 12 more months to go. I still end up only paying $100 for the iPhone 13 Pro
  • My trade in promotion for my iPhone 13 Pro was $1000. With iPhone 14 Pro MSRP of $1100. I always get the 256 GB configurations. So I get the 14 Pro for $100 plus tax on MSRP. Other carrier “free phones” are always lowest memory configuration and is the same 24 month trade mechanism as I am describing here. You also have to pay sales tax up front.
  • I got $495 as a one time credit and $505 in 24 monthly credit. You can see the details under next to the “P135 2022 Apple Trade P32” code. Another upgrade for only $100 because I chose 256 GB configuration again. Had I stayed with 128 GB, my upgrades would essentially be “free”.

One more detail - same as all carriers who offer “free upgrades”, TMO will require a credit check and based on score and other factors give you a credit line. You can only get zero down upgrades if your credit line covers the full price of the phone. I upgraded all 6 lines with various models and on the 6th one I was about $100 short from my credit line limit so I had to pay that upfront as a down payment, but my monthly payment was lower by the same amount over 24 months.

ME TOOO! I HAVE BEEN WITH T MOBILE SINCE IT WAS VOICE STREAM LIKE 20 PLUS YEARS! NEVER have I gotten anything for free, not even a phone case! it's terrible.  I never changed carriers and have been loyal for 20 plus years….