Question

How to disable 2 factor authentication

• 23 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 2 replies

I have 2FA enabled (Google Authenticator). Had to reset the phone and forgot to save the 2FA seeds… :(

I want to re-register the TMo account with Google Authenticator and I am not seeing any way to do it on the website. 

What’s the way out of this?

The customer service rep is trying to help… but we are not making headway…

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/set-up-and-manage-your-t-mobile-id#heading4 talks about 2FA but didn’t help…

Service rep said we could try to unlink my google email id (that I use to login) and TMo account. Is that going to help?

Thanks.

5 replies

Who's account are you trying to hack?

If you just had the right phone or access to the right email there would not be a problem.. Leave people alone

Badge

Thank you for your comment.

I will wait for someone to answer that may know of a way out of my predicament.

There is no way thats why it takes 2 factors, so no one can steal it. Unless you have the right phone and access to the correct email. Its that simple...

Badge

It is simple if you have not forgotten the seed from your previous installation. Of course, there are very smart people in the world who probably never forget a thing. However, for regular people like me that do happen to forget, it would be useful to be able to request a reset... 

All this said, TMobile's 2fa is in name only. They send the code via text or to the registered email too. So, if the email or sim is hacked, the 2fa does nothing. And for once, I am glad they have such poor 2fa. Despite my fiasco, I have access to my account due to the 2 other means of 2fa they offer. I was hoping to somehow get the authenticator option back too....

It is simple if you have not forgotten the seed from your previous installation. Of course, there are very smart people in the world who probably never forget a thing. However, for regular people like me that do happen to forget, it would be useful to be able to request a reset... 

All this said, TMobile's 2fa is in name only. They send the code via text or to the registered email too. So, if the email or sim is hacked, the 2fa does nothing. And for once, I am glad they have such poor 2fa. Despite my fiasco, I have access to my account due to the 2 other means of 2fa they offer. I was hoping to somehow get the authenticator option back too....

Anv, don't mind them, they just want people to do as they do. You are right, if you want to remove 2FA, at most they should have you acknowledge whatever security issue their argument is and authorize your request. Call 611 because no one here is employed at T-Mobile and getting them to reply takes MANY comments in the thread. I have fingerprint turned on for everything, even T-Mobile and they STILL ask me to do a 2FA. Good luck my Friend.