Question

Is the $100 T-mobile reward a scam?

• 27 September 2021
  • 39 replies

Badge

39 replies

I took one for the team. I clicked the link. They don't offer a gift card worth 100 dollars because thats what I would have chose but they offer gadgets. I picked a smart watch with the supposed value of $100. I paid 6.99 shipping for it in the end. Supposedly supposed to come on the 12th of October. Ill keep everyone updated.

I was searching for answers about this text message which I felt suspicious. I always check spelling and other identifying mishaps. The string in the link is off. Now, I'm no expert but why all of a sudden we're all getting these types of text messages? If you look carefully each text link have different signatures for different areas. When attempting to contact Customer service all their lines was a hold and the chat feature is unreachable. 

How do I or we correct this mishap from happening? Is it that we need to go back to landlines again? I know that in every company you deal with still need perfecting. Just be safe. #my2cents

I ended up wiping my phone restoring it from a recent backup. What I am really worried about here is that they looking for a way to take over my phone number then they can log into my bank and clear it out before I have a chance to react

Have you noticed an increase in these messages since you clicked it? I’m getting a different one sent to me now which I’ve posted below. Is this happening to anyone else who clicked the first one claiming to be T-Mobile? I wonder if the links are related in any way?

No, but I originally opened the link (technically with the curl command )from a Linux box in far east Asia. Not sure if that threw their whole  thing off track. It’s worth mentioning that I added some spam block thing from the T-Mobile site and take over protection on my line for now. Might just switch to Verizon. T-Mobile didn’t take me serious when I called them about this and either didn’t know much or care to know much. 

Bruh this is the biggest scam obviously

I just got one of these today. Whoever falls for this is even a bigger airhead than this dumb A scammer that didn't even bother to check the spelling before sending this out. I "APPOLOGIZE" if my comment offended anybody from "Tmobile" community 😂

This is the second text I’ve received, I blocked the number from the first, this morning received this one. So there are plenty of numbers is T-Mobile addressing? I can’t find anything posted except here. 

I ended up wiping my phone restoring it from a recent backup. What I am really worried about here is that they looking for a way to take over my phone number then they can log into my bank and clear it out before I have a chance to react

Have you noticed an increase in these messages since you clicked it? I’m getting a different one sent to me now which I’ve posted below. Is this happening to anyone else who clicked the first one claiming to be T-Mobile? I wonder if the links are related in any way?

They also spelled temporary wrong lol 

Unfortunately I clicked the link which is what led me to this forum. I watched something about a program called Pegasis and some of the most dangerous malware comes as single click scams like this one where it runs something malicious upon you clicking the link. So far my phone seems fine but I’m sure it would run in the background had anything installed. Hopefully someone finds out exactly what clicking it does soon, I’m worried I’m currently at risk.

I ended up wiping my phone restoring it from a recent backup. What I am really worried about here is that they looking for a way to take over my phone number then they can log into my bank and clear it out before I have a chance to react.

Unfortunately I clicked the link which is what led me to this forum. I watched something about a program called Pegasis and some of the most dangerous malware comes as single click scams like this one where it runs something malicious upon you clicking the link. So far my phone seems fine but I’m sure it would run in the background had anything installed. Hopefully someone finds out exactly what clicking it does soon, I’m worried I’m currently at risk.

I clicked on the link and closed out of it right away. Do I need to take any precaution?

Honestly, most links have an objective like getting you to give personal info, financial info, etc. I am actually worried this thing installed something on my mobile device or it’s unique link is being used in conjunction with the T-Mobile breach to further help attackers take over your phone number or SIM to break into you bank accounts etc. I would really like T-Mobile to get some outside security exports to examine the links to determine their goal.

I am not really feeling T-Mobile right now and have mind to switch carriers because I just don’t feel safe on T-mobile.

I received this text as well. I was investigating the link on a virtual machine outside my network and still managed to accidentally click on the damn link on my phone. I found it very strange it didn’t really appear to do anything except take me to google.com but in the UK. My network was connected to a different country so that is strange. After that it resolves to a 403 error when you reload it on the same phone. I did add some cookies to my-rewarz.com (or something like that)

From the VM I can see the domain was in Reykjavik it rans some javascript and that then went to a server in Belize (I think).

Anyone else click on this stupid link? I need to know what the objective was since I clearly ran the damn thing. I feel like it was either to confirm something or run a payload on the device.

I clicked on the link and closed out of it right away. Do I need to take any precaution?

I just got these… look how the spell T Mobile.  Must be a scam 

1.) Received at 3:29 a.m. (not typical hours for message from your own phone provider that is digitally aware of time zones)

2.) Poor spelling 

3.) NOT a T-Mobile link

4.) NOT a phone # linked to T-Mobile

5.) Did NOT use correct T-Mobile dash between t and mobile

6.) You must check everything for a scam anymore!

This is the scam link received:

Another way to tell it’s a scam: more than one misspelling. Appologize and Tmobile? One is bad enough, but two? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Total SCAM

I got this one and i didnt click the link because why would i?

Totally a scam

https://www.t-mobile.com/privacy-center/education-and-resources/sms-spam

Forward your messages to TMobile. They have a spam alert number. 

Badge

Took long enough to get these though. They hacked all of our info back in Aug.

Confirmed via news it's a scam.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.xda-developers.com/t-mobile-spam-text-100-free-gift/amp/