Solved

Is this a scam?

• 7 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I got a text: 

T-Mobile: REMINDER of Action Needed by 07/24/2023. We’re changing the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts. To continue receiving your $20.00 AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account. To keep your discount, please visit t-mo.co/AutoPay24 to change your payment method by 07/24/2023.

Is it a scam or real?

icon

Best answer by gramps28 7 July 2023, 19:04

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Real, there's multiple threads about it.

T-Mobile has already been hacked 4 times. To this day I have a problem because various scammers call me or send me an e-mail. I will not provide a bank account, I prefer to pay more. I don't trust T-Mobile. Please look around for another company. I have been in T-Mobile for 22 years

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

T-Mobile has already been hacked 4 times. To this day I have a problem because various scammers call me or send me an e-mail. I will not provide a bank account, I prefer to pay more. I don't trust T-Mobile. Please look around for another company. I have been in T-Mobile for 22 years

Verizon and AT&T have been hacked multiple times also so do some research into which carrier you're switching to.

I don't have any operators right now. I have two Unlimited 55+ Senior Plans phones. So far I have paid $85.00 for two phones + 5G internet. If I pay now this $100.00 dollars, it's still as cheap as in other companies. I used to pay $78.99 for Comcast Internet alone. There is no cheaper option for me at the moment. But now I'm turning off Autopay and having the bill sent home. I'll send them a check. I wonder if they will benefit from it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I don't have any operators right now. I have two Unlimited 55+ Senior Plans phones. So far I have paid $85.00 for two phones + 5G internet. If I pay now this $100.00 dollars, it's still as cheap as in other companies. I used to pay $78.99 for Comcast Internet alone. There is no cheaper option for me at the moment. But now I'm turning off Autopay and having the bill sent home. I'll send them a check. I wonder if they will benefit from it.

That check you’ll be sending them includes your bank account number and bank routing information - you’d do better to continue paying with a credit card if security of that banking information is your major concern. Who knows who is even processing those checks and can write down the banking info?

I don’t like it either but I opened a separate checking account with a debit card. Most debit cards issued by banks these days have the same fraud protections as credit cards if they are issued by Visa or MasterCard. The difference is rewards (some even offer minimal rewards) as well as when the money is debited (usually immediately at COB). With the controls offered by these debit cards nowadays (alerts, spending limits, controls by category, ability to lock, turning off overdraft protection, etc), I’m as comfortable with providing the debit card as I was with the credit card. Alerts allow me to take action immediately and prevent the debit from occurring.

T-Mobile isn’t unique in this - nearly everything I have these days costs extra if a credit card is used rather than ACH or debit. The only problems I have now are with checks being lost in the mail or failing to be credited promptly - not to mention the cost of a postage stamp just went up to $0.66

Balance the pros and cons of each approach - one size doesn’t fit all.

They ask you to change payment to bank debit to keep your $10 discount on auto-pay! and you do just that! Your account clearly shows the change to direct bank payment, yet your payment jumps to $108 from $60! Go figure that out, because two phone call and no one knows the answer? although I am in auto pay my account is charged for late fee!!!!!!!

This was a good company at one time! time to change.