Question

lied to about trade in amount

• 24 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

This occurred in Los Lunas, NM at the T-Mobile store. I was only given $80 for my trade in device. In the store I was told I would receive $800. I asked several times, the girl said yes it was $800. I received a text that said the estimate was $80 while in the store and I told her about it, she said that is just the estimate they have to put on the paper and not to worry I would get $800. I again asked her if she was sure about that. She said yes don’t worry. I then bought the phone and paid for it in full because I was assured several times that I would receive the $800 credit on my bill. They also forced me to send the phone in the mail and not through the store like I have in the past.  I was lied to and mislead, I never would have bought the phone if I was only getting $80 for it. Apple would have given me $300. I have been a T-Mobile customer since 1998. Do they work on commission? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Depending on the terms of the trade-in promotion.  You might receive the difference in bill credits divided over 24 months.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

IIRC the $80 trade in amount you signed off on is all they are going to give you because by signing the paperwork you agreed to that trade in value. Never agree to a number in writing if that number is not correct.

Badge

When that kind of money is at stake, always get it in writing. At this point, complaining loudly on social media (Twitter, Fb, Insta, Tktk) is likely your best bet. 

Badge +1

I am trying to trade in an iPhone 11 64gb to a iPhone 14 128gb.  The system shows my iPhone 11 64gb as a choice and I choose it. Later though it shows it a iPhone 11 256gb   - why?    I wonder then later if they may reneg on the trade in amount.

is this a tech error or scam?

But I cannot even finish the process as the website and App is having so many tech issues now… just constant errors.   They must be frustrating lots of customers.