Solved

Limit data usage

Userlevel 1

Folks,

Looking for a way to block data usage at certain times for my kid. We have unlimited data, and he uses it late into the night.

Yes, I know the old fashioned way of taking the phone away would work 😊 , but he stays up later than me and I don't mind that, but I want him in bed by say midnight, and I want to cut off his data usage.

Family Allowances DOES NOT stop data usage as far as I can tell. I already have that turned on.

I may have to go back to limited data since at least that would stop him.

Barring the above, is there a way to turn off his hotspot/tethering? There seems to be a way for T-Mobile to do this centrally since they can control the data limit for it...

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 29 June 2018, 18:46

View original

50 replies

Userlevel 4

Allowing a user to set data restrictions on the lines under their account... would be a new service (if) T-Mobile decides to go that route. Im 100% sure T-Mobile will charge a monthly service fee for this new service. $1.99 per month, maybe $4.99 per month....  im sure it won’t be free.

Suddenlay sorry I switched to T-mobile. There is no reason I can’t manage my child’s data Usage.  If t-mobile wanted to, they could fix this. We‘ll Give it A few more months then will probably have to switch again. I can’t have this constant battle which was so easily fixed before.

I just switched from Consumer Cellular to T-Mobile:   Consumer Cellular has this ability to turn off your child's data  -  though it is a manual stop/start button.

An automatic timer to turn off/on data should be standard.

I am also up-voting this feature request:  I hope that someday, T-Mobile will offer the level of parental control offered standard by Consumer Cellular - and maybe even surpass it !

- NaviBean

PS - I have not yet explored T-Mobile's FamilyMode feature, as a way to manage this.   Apparently, T-Mobile service reps also have not explored it:  Yesterday, I had a LONG conversation with a T-Mobile service rep, who said there is no way to achieve this basic functionality of turning off your child's data access.   She never mentioned the FamilyMode feature. 

Looking to limit, and be able to on/off data on daughter's phone. She is spending all time with youtube and surfing, and not getting school work done. Is becoming a very tense and negative situation at home. Very!

Appears all carriers except T-Mobile have this ability for parents to limit/cutoff data.

T-Mobile.... this is a hot button for lots of families. You need to step up and take care of your customers in this regard. Give us the option to parent appropriately!

Over two years people have been complaining about this and still T Mobile is so willfully ignorant or tone deaf that they wont fix this, or are just too damn stupid to figure it out. How hard can it be to figure out letting parents control the hours and amount of their kids data usage in 2019? Pathetic - you truly have a clueless technical organization.

I agree completely:   I have only been with T-Mobile about 7 weeks, and I am amazed that ...

1)  They have never mastered Parental Controls. 
     ...and...

2)  It took them 3 weeks and 22 phone calls with me, to finally transfer my family's lines from my previous carrier. 
3)  In only 2 of those 22 phone calls, did I speak to a T-Mobile rep who had mastered English!   T-Mobile should realize that America is a pretty big market, and therefore should hire reps who speak English as their first language.  I was always grateful to get their Charleston office, which is staffed with people who speak English well. 

I am not waiting for T-Mobile to fix any of this.  As soon as I get around to it tomorrow, I will become T-Mobile's next former customer. 

T-Mobil,   you need to do the right thing.

Y’know, life is just too short to tolerate ineptitude: After just 7 weeks, I bailed on T-Mobile, for a different carrier.

I am a serial entrepreneur: I’ve started businesses from Quality Assurance consulting, to Renewable Energy. I am obviously a devoted Capitalist: The Marketplace speaks loudly when companies fail to meet customers’ needs.

As customers, we have a responsibility to leave any firm that does not meet its customers’ needs. And to spread the word to our networks of friends, family, and associates.

Have there been any updates to this? We recently switched over to TMobile thinking that I would have the ability to turn off my kid’s data when needed, like when we are home and force them to stay on my fkltered WiFi and limit their phone usage at night. I am so disappointed that this doesn’t seem to be possible with T-Mobile yet....

No, I don’t think T-Mobile has engaged on this issue. So nothing’s changed.

Yeah, I think it’s common sense (but not common practice) for parents to be able to monitor & control their kids’ device usage.

Amazingly, one of the smallest carriers out there has this DOWN: You can turn off/on your kids’ data, and/or their texting, at your convenience.

In this forum, I don’t think I can say their name. (I left them ‘cause they don’t yet offer Unlimited data, and my kids are bandwidth hogs.)

… But they are very CONSUMER focused. (If you can live without Unlimited data, check them out.) Consumer… something. Google ‘Consumer’ and ‘cellular’, and you will find them.

I have left T-Mobile over this issue + several others.

Enjoy your weekend!

-J in Baltimore

Userlevel 4

I like T-Mobile 😊

I have 11 lines (5 voice lines and 2 Wifi Hotspot lines and 4 tablet lines) for under $215 dollars a month.

I wouldn’t dare bail on my account just because T-Mobile don’t have the best parental controls available on their network.

Consumers should ponder all available options before just listening to biased comments on this forum.

This is a T-Mobile Forum created for T-Mobile current, past, and future customers to connect and find answers to any questions or problems they may have relating to everything T-Mobile.

As you stated you left T-Mobile after 7 weeks for another carrier, but yet you are in a T-Mobile Forum. Im guessing the new carrier you went to does not have a forum of its own. Maybe you can persuade your friends, family members and associates to visit the T-Mobile Forum as well to learn more about what T-Mobile has to offer. You will never be happy in the T-Mobile Forum because you are nolonger connected to T-Mobile. Or maybe you are hanging around until you see a killer deal to draw you back as a T-Mobile customer. Just my opinion.

Thanks for asking:     I'm not "hanging around a T-Mobile forum".   Rather, I was replying to a question posed to me.    And if my comments have been biased, they have only been biased by my experience w/ T-Mobile.     So far, T-Mobile has not suggested that they have any plans to improve their dreadful customer service  - so no, I do not foresee returning.   But I appreciate your thoughtful invitation.    Enjoy your weekend.

Userlevel 4

After i re-read my own post, I was hoping you wouldn’t get offended by what I wrote. My comments seemed too opinionated, and I didn’t realize you were merely responding to someone’s question, sorry ( I thought you were Trolling on the forum).

T-Mobile has alot of room for improvement, I agree.

And I also had horrible experiences but they were all rectified by T-Mobile... usually after I spent countless hours on the phone with customer service.

You wrote that T-Mobile don’t have Unlimited Data yet... and that’s why you left...  so what Plan did you have? Almost all of T-Mobile Plans are unlimited 2G/3G after you use up your alloted data and If you have an unlimited plan you won‘t get throttled until you reach the 50GB if there is congestion on the network in your area.

You tottally missed out on the T-Mobile One International Plus Plan.... because that plan was truly unlimited... they discontinued that plan I believe last year. You and your family would of appreciated it. Maybe T-Mobile will restart that Plan again... then you may become a T-mobile customer again.

Thanks for your note. No offense taken.

Yes, T-Mobile seems to offer unlimited data across all of its plans. My previous carrier (before my switch to T-Mobile) did not offer any Unlimited plans.

I had an amazingly good experience with T-Mobile - a long time ago: When ‘T’ first started, I worked in Germany every day with their tech crews, teaming up to launch a hot new dot-com in Frankfurt.

T (for Deutsche Telekom) defined great service.

Fast forward 20 years: Only their name is the same.

I have the exact same problem - I am shocked and taken aback that a player as big as T-Mobile does NOT listen to it's Users. I understand that they are doing it just because they will lose money by letting Users limit data on their lines, but then, who said T-Mobile is about servicing Customers? 😥

I ditched Comcast after being a loyal Customer for over 17 years and have gone over to AT&T Fiber - am extremely satisfied with the change!

I have been a loyal Customer with T-Mobile for over 17 years now - I see myself doing the same with T-Mobile - will be ditching them soooooon, very soon, as soon as I figure out the AT&T Wireless Plans that I want to switch to, and, with offers likely to pour in during Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year, I think the timing will be perfect.

I hate it when big Companies suck like this. T-Mobile, up your game, or it is Adios to you. I am sure AT&T is no better at this (not sure if they have this feature), but, when I switch, I shall get to drop lines that have been the biggest data hogs. So, it shall be done... Yes, I look forward to "un-carrier" you, T-Mobile!

It's great that Tmobile offers everyone in the family lines with unlimited data.  But all I want for my kids is call and text.  It's too much to give kids unlimited data.  We need better options for controlling their use of data.  I'm really trying to figure out what to do without having to suspend my child's number.  And I really don't want to use a paid service app for monitoring the phone.  In the management features, I'd love to see an option for just turning off data on certain phones, so I get cut out phone internet without cutting out call and text communications. 

I just got off the line with Tmobile support.  Nothing has changed, and I don't believe it will.  At this point, given how long this feature has been absent, it's apparent Tmobile is dogmatically stuck on not providing data management features.  I assume some bean counter in corporate has convinced the C-suite that they make millions a year that would be lost if they provided these features. *Every* other carrier offers this, including the budget carriers. Today, without data management features, a carrier cannot be a full service carrier.  I simply *must* have a full service carrier right now, but T-mobile chooses not to be one.  It's a shame I have to leave; I've been a Tmobile customer for a long time.

Is there anyway to block or turn off my son hot spot from my phone? We have androids. It's school night & he uses his phone hot spot to access the internet. He phone shuts off at certain time at night but he keeps his hotspot on so when his phone locks he still can keep his hotspot on. Any idea would be helpful. Next step is to temporarily cancel his phone. 

My challenge is with T-Mobile, you can’t disable the hot-spot.  This allows my child to circumvent the wifi controls on our laptops at home.  iPhone does a great job with the phone, but thanks to t-mobile (not allowing us to block this feature) it’s become a gateway to circumvent wifi filters like Circle.  PLEASE add this feature.

I am really disappointed with T-Mobile now, i started using T mobile from 2006 as a Pre paid customer, then postpaid , I have called T-Mobile customer rep to check the options to limit my kids Data usage they suggested Family allowance feature, I don’t understand why they keeping this kind of feature to get customers money, very sad and seriously thinking to move out. 

The only solution that I have personally found to this problem is to logon to tmobile app on my phone and turn off my kids data plan on the fly when I want to temporarily disable their data.  From what I’ve found, when I disable the data it occurs pretty much instantly.  I agree with all the other very unhappy parents who are want to be able to automate and/or schedule this on/off switch.  From the looks of these very old message board posts people have been asking for this for years now.  I moved from ATT to Tmobile and this feature was offered by ATT at no extra charge without any need to download an extra app on your kids phone.

I have the exact same problem - I am shocked and taken aback that a player as big as T-Mobile does NOT listen to it's Users. I understand that they are doing it just because they will lose money by letting Users limit data on their lines, but then, who said T-Mobile is about servicing Customers? 😥

I ditched Comcast after being a loyal Customer for over 17 years and have gone over to AT&T Fiber - am extremely satisfied with the change!

I have been a loyal Customer with T-Mobile for over 17 years now - I see myself doing the same with T-Mobile - will be ditching them soooooon, very soon, as soon as I figure out the AT&T Wireless Plans that I want to switch to, and, with offers likely to pour in during Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year, I think the timing will be perfect.

I hate it when big Companies suck like this. T-Mobile, up your game, or it is Adios to you. I am sure AT&T is no better at this (not sure if they have this feature), but, when I switch, I shall get to drop lines that have been the biggest data hogs. So, it shall be done... Yes, I look forward to "un-carrier" you, T-Mobile!

Well if we are paying for unlimited data and want to restrict our kids lines to say 1GB a month why cant we have the capability.  I have an autistic child in collage between classes apparently he uses his phone “a lot” 14GM of use in one month and I can’t restrict it?  During this time he’s supposed to be in library studying not downloading u-tube videos and what ever else.  Due to him being at school while I’m working I can’t disconnect his phone out of safety and necessity? I am going crazy with all the parental controls and apps “Family App at an additional 10 $” The Google family which some how he learned how to disable because hey guess what you can google how to do so lol.   It’s becoming a full time job!  This is crazy as the primary of the phone lines we should have more control!  Especially if it’s linked as a kids line.  

Dead Link given—is this STILL not solved?

This is the most common thread on the subject of family allowances for well over a year now.  It's almost a useless feature to be able to restrict phone usage when it doesn't apply to data.  The home wifi is restricted for the kids to not be able to use it late hours.  But they can just transition over to TMO data.

You are probably aware that your competitor who's name starts with an A and ends with a T has a far more flexible "SmartLimits" feature.  It costs a few bucks per month, but well worth it to keep the kids off the phone when they should be sleeping for school the next day.....

I honestly don't know how TMO can justify a "Family Allowances" feature that completely ignores data usage in this day and age.

I cannot believe that parents are relying on everyone else to control their children.   First off if your child is not responsible enough to know when to go to sleep then it's your responsibility to do something about it or get a house phone. 

Ok, Chris, thanks for the help 😊

If there is somewhere to "upvote" a feature like this I'd happily do it.

Clearly this can be done on the backend somewhere since you guys can limit data by amount, and you can also throttle speed.

I get it's not easy, believe me 😊 but it'd be a great thing to have.

For now then, I'm going to use my Circle with Circle Go to do this. Putting this in not as a plug for Circle, but so that other folks know there's a solution.

Note, if you can get a hold of a product person's ear, I'm willing to pay another company for this service, so it's valuable.

Thanks again!

Ricardo

Folks,

Looking for a way to block data usage at certain times for my kid. We have unlimited data, and he uses it late into the night.

Yes, I know the old fashioned way of taking the phone away would work 😊 , but he stays up later than me and I don't mind that, but I want him in bed by say midnight, and I want to cut off his data usage.

Family Allowances DOES NOT stop data usage as far as I can tell. I already have that turned on.

I may have to go back to limited data since at least that would stop him.

Barring the above, is there a way to turn off his hotspot/tethering? There seems to be a way for T-Mobile to do this centrally since they can control the data limit for it...

Thanks in advance!

BUT with Family Mode the child/teen has to keep his/her VPN on. When it's turned off, Family Mode does not work.