Mobile Hotspot Feature no longer works while roaming in Mexico

• 11 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

My wife and I subscribe to the One Plus plan.  This gives us 5gb a month to use while roaming in Mexico/Canada.

For the past 4-5 years that we've had this plan, it has worked great.  We live in San Diego, CA and cross into Tijuana/Rosarito/Ensenada often.

In the past month or 2, we have been unable to hotspot to our daughters' tablets while roaming south of the boarder.

We roam on Telcel and data on our phones works great.  We normally get speeds in the 30-50mb range.  Our hotspot feature turns on on the phones and the tablets "connect", but no data is carried through.

We can hotspot successfully once we cross back into San Diego and connect back to Tmobile's network.

Has something changed recently on T-Mobile's end that hotspot is no longer allowed while roaming in Mexico/Canada?

We both use Nokia 7.2 phones running Android 11 and our daughters use Samsung Tab A tablets also running Android 11.

Attached is a screenshot of my TM useage.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

How long have you've been using international roaming without being on Tmobile towers? The majority of your usage needs to be on Tmobile towers every month and Tmobile can cancel your account for excessive international roaming.

Badge

Normally we go to Ensenada for the weekend (Saturday morning and go back the next day)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I suggest contacting tmobile support using messenger on one of tmobile's social media platforms to see if they can help you. This forum is basically a user to user forum with some tmobile moderation that don't have account access.