Question

My business Caller ID name appearing incorrectly on T-Mobile phones

  • 29 August 2023
  • 5 replies
  • 892 views

Badge

Hello! My business phone provider - which is handled by Spectrum Voip - displays my business name correctly at all of the other mobile providers, but for some reason it displays the name of a former employee when a T-Mobile number is called. I spoke with Spectrum and they confirmed that they have my business name properly listed on their end and informed me that the issue would then be on the receiving end. I spoke with T-Mobile customer support, and they told me that since I do not have a T-Mobile number that there is nothing that they can do??? I read through some of the other posts on this topic and it appears that there are 3rd party providers that could also be the cause, any guidance on how I could go about having this corrected with T-Mobile or 3rd parties is greatly appreciated.


5 replies

I have the same issue for several business numbers.  I called T-Mobile and Chatted with T-Mobile several times, and finally wrote a letter.  After 4 weeks, T-Mobile called me to discuss the letter and after explaining that I AM NOT A T-MOBILE CUSTOMER, the finally got it and said they have fixed it.

We have not yet verified that they actually fixed it, as they said it will take about 72 hours for the Caller ID Name to update.

We did ask what we need to tell T-Mobile when we call to fix an incorrect caller ID name displayed when calling a T-Mobile customer, and they said we needed to tell support:

“We need the number details updated in the tool, and need to assign a name to the number.”

So we called about a second number and have been on the phone with support, including being passed from department, to department, to department, for about 45 minutes, and no one knows what we are talking about.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have the same issue for several business numbers.  I called T-Mobile and Chatted with T-Mobile several times, and finally wrote a letter.  After 4 weeks, T-Mobile called me to discuss the letter and after explaining that I AM NOT A T-MOBILE CUSTOMER, the finally got it and said they have fixed it.

We have not yet verified that they actually fixed it, as they said it will take about 72 hours for the Caller ID Name to update.

We did ask what we need to tell T-Mobile when we call to fix an incorrect caller ID name displayed when calling a T-Mobile customer, and they said we needed to tell support:

“We need the number details updated in the tool, and need to assign a name to the number.”

So we called about a second number and have been on the phone with support, including being passed from department, to department, to department, for about 45 minutes, and no one knows what we are talking about.

several business numbers of your own or business numbers that contact you?

I work for a roadside services and insurance services company in the phone group. T-Mobile is the worse at updating their caller ID databases or just using bogus data. My company pays for many telephone numbers so that insurance agents and claims reps can call customers. It is very hard to do business when customers see the wrong info on their incoming calls. It will display the correct phone number but with the wrong name of the person or business.

Just did this with 18 numbers. Process was to call main support line, ask for supervisor and then ask to be transferred to a technician. The technician needs to enter numbers in the “number details tool”. It seems part of the process is to identify the numbers as “business”. I was only on the phone for less than 30 minutes total. We will see in 24-72 hours if the changes took. FWIW, AT&T and Verizon show my business phones correctly without this hassle.

I just did this as well. It was a little frustrating but here is what I did step by step.

 

  1. Called ATT customer support 1800TMOBILE
  2. Explicitly said I am not a customer but I am having issues with my business caller ID not showing correctly on ATT Customer Phones. (Took a few times of repeating this for them to get it right)
  3. Asked to be escalated to the Technicians
  4. After a lot of back and forth and holding, the Tech found out what I needed (after explaining it to them) and she was able to help. I asked her what I needed to do next time I needed to call in. She gave me these instructions:
    A. Tell the technician to go to their “Grandcentral” system.
    B. Click “Tools”
    C. Search Tools and type “Number Details Tool”
    D. When the number details tool opens, there is a place to type the phone number that you need the CID updated for (your phone number).
    E. Right away there is a place to type the requested Caller ID Name.
    F. Click Submit and it will report the number details and your request will take 72 hours to update.

The tech I worked with said she had never heard of this before but learned something new. She said to do the above every time we needed a CID number update.
This worked for us.

Some other resources:
T-Mobile Caller ID report NOT spam (if your number is mistakenly being reported as spam - https://callreporting.t-mobile.com/

First Orion Caller ID registry (Database that TMobile is supposed to pull from but doesn’t - https://portal.firstorion.com/app/landing/#/signup

We had already done both of these things and the CID sitll wasn’t updated for months, but after the call and 72 hours, it was fixed.

Reply