Question

Old Free Tablet

• 12 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

We’ve gotten two free tablets from T-Mobile. When I tried to return mine to just cancel the monthly fee, employee told me that I had to pay for it outright. I was wondering if this is true? I have to pay for the item that I got for free with monthly payments now that I don’t want/use/need it anymore. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you got it free due to some kind of promo..in most cases you get it for free but it must be put onto a tablet data plan for a certain amount of time before it can be canceled..if not then you must pay off whatever is left of said promo...this sounding a bit like what you have going on?

Badge

Yes. Exactly. But, I had gone into a store & they told me that we’d need to pay for the tablet. We were never told a minimum time we had to continue this promo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

its usually in the fine print..dont quote me on it but i think its a year of paying for the data plan before you can opt out of it and just use the tablet via wifi instead of needing the data plan. nothing from anyone is ever truly free..theres always some kind of thing that goes along with it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

its usually in the fine print..dont quote me on it but i think its a year of paying for the data plan before you can opt out of it and just use the tablet via wifi instead of needing the data plan. nothing from anyone is ever truly free..theres always some kind of thing that goes along with it.

you are correct. most of those free promotions require a 1 or 2 year usage commitment. that is how you trap you for a determined length of time since there are no contract requirements like in the past. if you cancel before then the remaining value of the device is due in full