Question

records missing from text usage report

• 5 February 2023
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was just checking the usage on my account and noticed some inconsistencies. I found that the records for many text messages are missing. I have 8 lines on my account (large family) and there are many messages back and forth between family members. If I compare the records of texts between two family members, I should see an incoming record on line and an outgoing record on the other. Sometimes that is the case, but often the text will only show up on one line and not the other.

Examples:

(1) In the last billing cycle, my wife’s usage shows 156 messages between her and one of my daughters, but if I look at my daughter’s usage, it shows only 23. Only 6 records show up on both reports. The total number of messages between the two is at least 172, assuming all of the records showed up on one line or the other. 

(2) In the last billing cycle, one daughter shows 16 messages with another daughter. That second daughter shows 18 messages with the first. 15 records show up on both reports, with 3 that are only on the second daughter’s and 1 that is only on the first daughter’s.

Any two numbers I choose from my account shows these kinds of discrepancies. I think these two examples are sufficient to illustrate it, but they are certainly not the only affected numbers.

How can this be explained? Is this a network error? Can I expect that the text records to and from lines on other accounts are also affected, such that many records are missing?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If the text were made using an app like What's app will show as a data charge not cellular.

Userlevel 1
Badge

If the text were made using an app like What's app will show as a data charge not cellular.

I realize that, but I’m not concerned with those types of messages. These were all regular texts. As I mentioned, a text message will show as an outgoing message from one number to another, but there is no corresponding incoming message on the other line, or there is an incoming message on one line and no corresponding outgoing message on the other line. As far as I’m aware, you can’t message a text line from an app like that, or receive regular text messages from an app like that. Looking at the dates and times, I may see a conversation of several messages over a short period of time, and some messages will show up on one line and some on the other line and a few on both lines. Furthermore, if I go look on the phones, I can see that they are regular text messages on both phones.

I understand your point, and I appreciate it as that is the most obvious thing, but that’s not what’s going on here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

In my usage it shows that I text my wife more than she does me because she doesn't always text me back so there's always is going to be a discrepancy and never the same amount of text.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Texts and calls made over WiFi will not show up in your usage unless those calls or texts have a charge associated with them.

Same thing with me. I simply send a good morning text. It shows that I sent it but it doesn't show that she ever even received the text from me through regular text messaging. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it's inconsistent. For example, I keep my text messages maybe to just a few a day and it shows that I texted once or none or sometimes it does show that a text the right amount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Not all recipients have to have to have read and received receipts enabled.  Personally, I don't.  

I totally get what you are saying and it is bothered me for a long time. I just texted my daughter last night at tax and she texted back and none of this is showing up on our records. I wasn’t using Wi-Fi, so why doesn’t it capture everything?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I totally get what you are saying and it is bothered me for a long time. I just texted my daughter last night at tax and she texted back and none of this is showing up on our records. I wasn’t using Wi-Fi, so why doesn’t it capture everything?

apple phone or androiid? if its an apple phone and its texts sent/received through imessage they wont show up. those go through Apples servers and is basically like using the old yahoo messenger instead of it being an actual text.

Texts and calls made over WiFi will not show up in your usage unless those calls or texts have a charge associated with them.

Not true, calls and messages over WiFi do show up in my call and text logs. T-Mobile literally misses texts randomly and doesn’t log them, I’m having the SAME issue as the user who wrote this message for years and I’ve contacted T Mobile about it multiple times and they can never come up with a solution.  Most times they say they will call me back after they investigate the issue further and NEVER do.  It’s ridiculous!

I was just checking the usage on my account and noticed some inconsistencies. I found that the records for many text messages are missing. I have 8 lines on my account (large family) and there are many messages back and forth between family members. If I compare the records of texts between two family members, I should see an incoming record on line and an outgoing record on the other. Sometimes that is the case, but often the text will only show up on one line and not the other.

Examples:

(1) In the last billing cycle, my wife’s usage shows 156 messages between her and one of my daughters, but if I look at my daughter’s usage, it shows only 23. Only 6 records show up on both reports. The total number of messages between the two is at least 172, assuming all of the records showed up on one line or the other. 

(2) In the last billing cycle, one daughter shows 16 messages with another daughter. That second daughter shows 18 messages with the first. 15 records show up on both reports, with 3 that are only on the second daughter’s and 1 that is only on the first daughter’s.

Any two numbers I choose from my account shows these kinds of discrepancies. I think these two examples are sufficient to illustrate it, but they are certainly not the only affected numbers.

How can this be explained? Is this a network error? Can I expect that the text records to and from lines on other accounts are also affected, such that many records are missing?

I’ve had the same isssue with them for years.  Literally miss a ton of texts on multiple numbers on multiple accounts that my family has with no rhyme or reason to it.  When I call them they have no answer and say they will investigate the issue further and then never get back to me.  Let me know if you have any luck in figuring it out. Seems to happen on iPhones is what I’ve noticed so far .  My Google pixel doesn’t seem to have this issue. 

apple phone or androiid? if its an apple phone and its texts sent/received through imessage they wont show up. those go through Apples servers and is basically like using the old yahoo messenger instead of it being an actual text.

I thought the same thing but my wife and I both have iPhone and use iMessage as do most iPhone customers and SOME of the texts between us do show up so if what you were saying is true they would never show up at all. It’s something else and T-Mobile needs to get to the bottom of it and tell their customers what the hell is going on because it’s ridiculous it’s even happening in the first place.