Question

Security of bank account information

Userlevel 1
Badge

Some people at my bank have had their bank account accessed by overseas hackers in recent years and some bank accounts were emptied, due to security breaches.

As T-Mobile is now requiring our bank account information to continue with our auto-pay discount, I would like to know the guarantees that T-Mobile have in place in the event of our bank account information being accessed. Will T-Mobile guarantee all of the deposit in our bank account?  Will we have to sue T-Mobile for our bank deposits. I would prefer a small fee to use my credit card, rather than offering T-Mobile my bank account information as they have proven in the past that they are not secure. I have multiple lines so my Auto-Pay discount is $30. Thus, it is worthwhile to me to keep. 

I also would like to know what the Bureau of Consumer Protection has to say about this matter and the responsibility of T-Mobile to not allow our information to be breached. I can much more easily replace a credit card than I can change my bank account. I would like to know that T-Mobile is taking this seriously and will guarantee our bank accounts if there is any security breach.                                                                                       

16 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can answer your question.  T mobile is not taking data security seriously.  If it was it wouldn’t be forcing people to chose between a). switching from a secure payment method to giving bank account or debit card info to a three-times hacked company with no reassurances or guarantee; or b). facing a big price increase from a company that promised not to increase prices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so whats Verizons excuse then for not allowing a auto pay discount for using CC cards? are they also not taking data security seriously?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Verizon are not forcing existing customers to choose between going insecure or a price increase.  They disclose upfront to potential customers what the options are and not going back on their word.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so you mean since they DID previously allow CC cards for the auto pay discount and then took that away..in some weird way this is NOT the same as the way TMO is doing it?

Userlevel 3

Absolutely agree that customers should not entrust their bank account numbers to t-mobile in order to quality for an “autopay discount.”   I think t-mobile is insane to put customers in this position.  I am considering terminating my multi-line 10+ year relationship with t-mobile as soon as I shop for a replacement plan.  I get $25 a month in autopay discounts.  This is hardly worth putting my bank account at risk of any future t-mobile data breaches.   I have a legacy rate plan which is “grandfathered” and was not supposed to change.   It allowed autopay discounts when using credit cards.  A t-mobile “expert” today tried to tell me that changing autopay to exclude promised discounts using credit cards was not a plan change.  They said they just redefined autopay!  I am astounded by such arrogance.   

Userlevel 2
Badge

Fireguy, each company offers a service for a price, Verizon offer a discount if you pay by bank or debit card and I assume they will stick with it.  TMO offered me a discount for paying via CC and I assumed they would stick with it.  TMO went back on their promise to me.  That is unforgivable to me.  If Verizon did that in the past, that is between them and their customers at that time.  It does NOT make TMO’s unacceptable behavior to me acceptable to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

then move on to another carrier that will do this for you.. problem solved. you get to teach TMO a lesson about not forcing you to do things you dont want to.. you win.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Fireguy, yes but I agreed to three years service when I switched my phone so I am exposed for the balance of my term.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

pay it off and move on..which is more important to you..continuing to complain about no longer being able to use a CC card to get your auto pay discount for the next 3 years..or biting the bullet and paying off what you need to and heading on to those greener pastures?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Are you nuts?  Pay TMO $665 to pay off two phones and still have no phone insurance all because TMO changed their mind?

Userlevel 3

T-mobile’s move to condition future autopay discounts on the use of bank account numbers, debit cards, or T-mobile Money (their own bank) deserves strong customer  pushback.  

Consider low income customers for whom the monthly autopay discount is very important.  This change is especially harmful to customers who may not have bank accounts/debit cards or have bank accounts with frequently low balances.  A data breach exposing banking information to criminals would hit these customers especially hard.   Even when fraudulent charges are disputed, banks may continue to make checking account funds unavailable to customers for several days causing considerable hardship.  

When I asked a T-mobile “expert” in an overseas call center about data security, he replied that T-mobile had secure ways for customers to send bank account numbers to T-mobile.   What?!   If T-mobile doesn’t even  understand the problem, how can customers entrust such sensitive personal data to them.

I’m currently looking for a new carrier after over 10 years of loyalty.  I hope customers will push back hard against this latest change to autopay discounts. 

Dear T-Mobile,Thank you for sharing the information with me - The Customer.
I appreciate that you took the time to explain the options available to me.
You must understand that I cannot trust you with my financial information because you cannot guarantee security.
I have serious concerns about my financial information's security, and you should also be concerned when you ask me about my bank account.
I understand why changes are significant to you, yet you shattered my trust in your company for a long time. It would be helpful if you continuously improve your security measures and take every necessary precaution to protect your customers' sensitive data. You cannot assure me that using a bank account or debit card with your company is secure and reliable.
You failed before; you failed to protect and inform the Customers right away about the Security breach. I found out from the media weeks later after it happened. I understand that I can choose an alternative payment method if I am not comfortable with the security measures you have in place. I hope you take my feedback as constructive criticism and work towards improving your security measures. The safety and security of my financial information should be your top priority. Thank you for your understanding, but I cannot risk my financial information due to your company's past negligence.
Nonetheless, I will choose an alternative payment method best suits my needs. I can, regardless, switch to your competition provider, and I only begin entertaining the idea.

Disgusting.. 

I have decided to leave T-Mobile as all of you should consider. This change was implemented in May when T-Mobile and Metro PCS merged. Giving your personal bank account information is Ludacris and you should not take this lightly. With the number of times T-Mobile has been hacked this is a recipe for disaster. Speaking to a colleague at work they have already cancelled service with T-Mobile. I have enjoyed T-Mobile, but I will not jeopardize my personal financial life for them. Guess they will be the next Bud Light

I too am looking to leave TMobile.   This decision puts my bank accounts at risk.  Financial fraud people have always recommended that you never give companies direct access to your bank accounts.  A bad idea.  Remember the account can be drained and you were the one that gave the information to do it.

So TMobile is banking that their main competitor Verizon does not allow credit cards so their customers are somewhat screwed.  So much for customer service.

Does anyone know if T-Mobile is storing bank account information, or just a token and leaving the information at the bank.  If a token only, then autopay is not that dangerous.  If they actually store bank info internally giving bank info is a non starter to an organization with a bad track record of data security.